Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRRP questions Fabric Engine

VRRP questions Fabric Engine

jeronimo
Contributor III

Hello,

1) If I assign the platform VLAN needed to create the IP interface incl. the VRRP instance to an i-sid, what does that mean for VRRP? Where does it send its advertisements, internally across the i-sid or across the external link?

2) Does Fabric Engine / VOSS have the possibility to create VRRP groups? I.e. interfaces that should always fail over together so as not to create traffic blackholes. Or does this somehow work differently, maybe related to question #1?

Thanks for any potential answers and feedback.

1 REPLY 1

WillyHe
Contributor

VRRP is a protocol that communicates in a L2 broadcast domain to provide Default Gateway redundancy for client systems.
By assigning the same I-SID id. to vlan's (L2-VSN) on different switches in the SPBM Fabric, they become one L2 broadcast domain VRRP advertisements are forwarded in the broadcast domain and are received on all switches which have the same L2-VSN id. or VLAN/I-SID id. configured.
When on each switch VRRP-BackupMasters (VRRP-BM) feature is enabled, then incoming client traffic towards the VRRP MAC address will be locally L3 switched/routed instead of being L2 forwarded to the VRRP-Master.

On switches where VRRP is configured on vlan's that are member of the same L2-VSN they also know the same routes, I don't see how blackholes can be created.

Assumed is that ALL VLAN's sharing the same L2-VSN id. are member of a VRF (GRT or other) that has the same L3-VSN id. or VRF I-SID id. configured.

regards

GTM-P2G8KFN