cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news on 802.11ac Wave 2?

Any news on 802.11ac Wave 2?

Nicolas_Martine
New Contributor II
Does anyone knows if it's in roadmap for an AP?
14 REPLIES 14

James_A
Valued Contributor
In addition you're not actually going to need more than 1Gbps full-duplex wired ethernet in an enterprise environment. Wireless is half-duplex, and a 3x3:3 MIMO client at 80MHz has a max PHY rate of 1300Mbps (in a clean environment, within 30ft of the AP). Account for real-life overhead of 35% and you're under 1Gbps again.

Admittedly you could then exceed 1Gbps if the 2.4GHz radio is in heavy use, but personally I've been wishing for APs with a single 5GHz radio as I already turn off some of my 2.4GHz radios to avoid interference. As a bonus they would easily fit in 802.3af (I know the 3825 does, but even so it must be a squeeze).

Sean_Hogston
Extreme Employee
We cannot publish roadmap type of info in this forum. I would suggest you reach out to your local SE and ask for an update.

As for the bandwidth limitation there are also changes on the horizon on the wired side with things like 2.5G and 5G ethernet port speeds that will address that concern. We also have APs with dual ethernet ports as well.

Sean

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Yes please can we get some kind of roadmap for the Wave 2 equipment, and some specs/pictures.

I saw a picture or two of the new 4x4:4 Wave 2 units in a Extreme presentation but have not seen any info regarding them.

Tomasz_Lubas
New Contributor III
I heard that there is a problem because you can't afford more than 1Gbps on copper ports and this is limitation for ap bandwidth 🙂

Unlikely to be a scenario in the enterprise where more than 1Gbps is needed on the switch port to an AP, so no worries there. 
GTM-P2G8KFN