Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP blinking (LED status) checking status

AP blinking (LED status) checking status

a_huerzeler
Contributor

Hi all, 

with the newer Wifi 6 APs (305C,410C,510C) i would like to know if i can check with a CLI command the reason why an AP status led is blinking. I know they do that if there is a PoE issue but I had cases were they stopped blinking after i placed them on the map and send a Delta update. 

My question: Can i check by command what the status of the LED light is (stable/blinking and the reason why)?

Best, 

Andi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello Andi,

Please try cli command: #show system led

Example:

AP305C-Internal-Mesh#show system led
Brightness configuration: bright

System LED status:
No Led Colour Blinking
---------------------------------------------------------
1 Power Off No blinking
2 Status White No blinking

You can refer to the AP manual for details on LED status for example:

The following is an excerpt from the AP305C/AP305CX manual:

• White, Steady : The device has a CAPWAP connection to ExtremeCloud IQ and is operating normally.
  • White, Slow-blinking: The device has a CAPWAP connection to ExtremeCloud IQ, but is operating on 802.3af power instead of 802.3at power.
  • Amber, Steady: The device is initializing, rebooting, or is running without a CAPWAP connection.
  • Amber, Slow-blinking: The device has no CAPWAP connection to ExtremeCloud IQ, and is operating 802.3af power instead of 802.3at power.
  • Amber, Fast-blinking: The device is upgrading its IQ Engine firmware.
  • Dark: Power is off.

Thank you,

Christoph S.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @a.huerzeler! Thanks for the mention, the AP305C is fully functional using 802.3af power, even with Dual 5GHz enabled.  

a_huerzeler
Contributor

One more thing about AP305C according to this article: https://www.extremenetworks.com/extreme-networks-blog/my-favorite-new-wi-fi-access-point-ap305c/ the 305AP has full functionality with 802.3af but why is the LED blinking if it gets 802.3af then?
In my opinion it would make more sense if the AP would only be blinking if PoE is not sufficient. I get that it makes sense for lager APs wo can function with limitations on 802.3af but need 802.3at for full capabilities. 

@Sam Pirok Can you confirm if 802.3af power is sufficient for AP305C with Dual 5 GHz turned on?

Looking forward to get more insight to PoE stability with new Co-Pilot feature...

a_huerzeler
Contributor

@Christoph S. Thanks for your answer! That helps!

Hi have a situation at a customer where I only have 802.3af power for the 305C APs now turning off USB would help I guess to get more PoE stability but I get mismatching information from the CLI and the GUI. Can i turn USB off by CLI?

fc5f34b3fbfd4dfd81296b63b9abeb0b_eee55864-61f6-49fc-a7af-043dfc0ef854.jpg
fc5f34b3fbfd4dfd81296b63b9abeb0b_2bf59908-ee7b-4fbe-bc2d-2344a925b1f7.jpg

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello Andi,

Please try cli command: #show system led

Example:

AP305C-Internal-Mesh#show system led
Brightness configuration: bright

System LED status:
No Led Colour Blinking
---------------------------------------------------------
1 Power Off No blinking
2 Status White No blinking

You can refer to the AP manual for details on LED status for example:

The following is an excerpt from the AP305C/AP305CX manual:

• White, Steady : The device has a CAPWAP connection to ExtremeCloud IQ and is operating normally.
  • White, Slow-blinking: The device has a CAPWAP connection to ExtremeCloud IQ, but is operating on 802.3af power instead of 802.3at power.
  • Amber, Steady: The device is initializing, rebooting, or is running without a CAPWAP connection.
  • Amber, Slow-blinking: The device has no CAPWAP connection to ExtremeCloud IQ, and is operating 802.3af power instead of 802.3at power.
  • Amber, Fast-blinking: The device is upgrading its IQ Engine firmware.
  • Dark: Power is off.

Thank you,

Christoph S.
GTM-P2G8KFN