cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup client load balancing on APs

How to setup client load balancing on APs

Benjamin_DiehlF
New Contributor

Is there a specific way to configure load balancing on the APs in ExtremeCloud IQ? In the mornings mainly and honestly though out the day the APs seem to not be sharing the load between themselves. Each classroom has a chrome cast in it as well. The APs are connected to Ubiquiti switches and then go to the main server room (some fiber’d and some not). We have been having issues of teachers not being able to stream to the ChromeCasts (extremely choppy and laggy). Ive heard that ChromeCasts give off an insane amount of traffic as well. I’m mainly trying to figure out if the APs are causing the issue or if something else down the lines is causing the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Benjamin,

I asume you are taking about client load balancing. For client load balancing just enable “Client Loadbalancing->Number of Clients” for the APs which are deployed in the same open space. Setting is done in the “Radio Profile”.

Please be aware you have to enable the load balancing on both radios! 

If roaming is required, load balancing isn’t a good option.

Regards Stephan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Benjamin,

the teachers and students will not change the room every few minutes. Therefore a fast roaming is not so importen I assume. Therefore test with loadbalancing.

You can check the behaviour of the clients before and after you enabled loadbalaning to control the effect of the function.

Regards Stephan

Benjamin_DiehlF
New Contributor

The APs are setup in a school setting and are in every other classroom roughly. I would assume that roaming would be needed since teachers and students go between classes. In your opinion what do think is a better option; roaming or load balancing of clients?

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Benjamin,

I asume you are taking about client load balancing. For client load balancing just enable “Client Loadbalancing->Number of Clients” for the APs which are deployed in the same open space. Setting is done in the “Radio Profile”.

Please be aware you have to enable the load balancing on both radios! 

If roaming is required, load balancing isn’t a good option.

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN