cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 802.11ac wave II deployment issues.

New 802.11ac wave II deployment issues.

Christopher_Dav
New Contributor II
We are rolling out a new wireless deployment. New 802.11ac wave II AP's on a pair of 5210 controllers. We currently have some AP's cycling on and off. The POE utilization on the SSA they are plugged into is only around 30%.

Additionally some areas we are having client machines connect to AP's very far away even though they may be standing right near an AP broadcasting the same SSID.

Any advice would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Other than differences in the radio or controller settings, i don't know why this would occur only on the new models. The client should be the one deciding which radio to connect to.

I've seen this happen in our environment on older AP's as well. There are some things you can do to make clients roam more aggressively.

1. you could experiment with increasing the minimum data rate. This also effectively shrinks the cell size, so you would need to ensure there is still appropriate coverage.

2. you could try using probe suppression and force disassociation thresholds. I'm currently testing this option in certain buildings where I want to ensure clients in specific area's or rooms are connecting to the closest AP.

Joshua_Puusep
New Contributor III
As for the distant client connections, are you seeing this on older AP models as well or just 3935i's?

Joshua_Puusep
New Contributor III
We had the same issue with AP resets when we started deploying 3935i's on 10.01.03.007. It appeared to be a bug causing the resets and GTAC provided us with an AP image 10.01.05.0002 as a fix. We've been running crash free for a couple weeks now. You probably want to open a ticket with GTAC and provide them with your tech support files to ensure it is the same bug.

Christopher_Dav
New Contributor II
Software is 10.01.03.0007

Model is AP3935i

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Please let us know the exact AP model and the software that is running on the controller.
GTM-P2G8KFN