cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Listing Xbox

White Listing Xbox

Colin_Steadman
New Contributor
Students on the campus are asking if Xbox can be made to work on wireless. I've done a bit of research and spoken to someone at Microsoft and the problem seems to be that when an Xbox connects it wants to talk to Xbox Live before it will open Internet Explorer. However we want the user to sign in with Internet Explorer before we give them internet access... a bit of a chicken and egg situation. The work-around suggested is to whitelist the MAC address of the Xbox and register whose device it is. I've searched in help and cant see where I would do this (I can only see mention of blacklisting). Does Extreme support whitelisting, if so where is it? Or has anyone setup their wireless to support Xbox? Its not a high priority for us, but I'm open to the idea because gaming uses much less bandwidth than streaming video and it may help take some of the strain off the APs in peak evening periods.
12 REPLIES 12

Verus
New Contributor II
There was a case and we have the possibility to disable the blacklist action but that's a solution for the result that we can't whitelist ONE client so I don't think that's a good solution because the blacklist action is a RADAR feature we would like to use.
I would prefer the possibility to whitelist one single client.
Whitelisting single clients is a (pretty default) setting that exists for a long time in a lot of software but not in this and that is a shortage.

Answer from extreme networks: ...Since we are not sure the frequency of the probes, the simplest config change is to disable this blacklist action. You can do this through controller cli and this setting will be preserved through reboots and upgrades. Before making the cli change, can you confirm the client is placed in the blacklist on detection of excessive probes...

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Verus, Have you opened a case with GTAC to help ensure there's not something else that can be done?

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I don't think that a whitelist would help you in that case.

I'd assume that if RADAR detect the client as the source of a DDOS attack that the client would be moved from whitelist to blacklist to deny the attack.

Verus
New Contributor II
We have the same problem with RADAR (firmware 09.21.02.0014).
Some clients (wifi phones) get disconnected.
This is the explanation: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/With-9-21-firmware-and-Radar-enabled-cli...

It is ridiculous that we need to "fix" the clients as the problem is with RADAR.
It should be a default functionality that you can WHITELIST SINGLE clients.
According to this explanation that's not possible:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Can-I-use-Whitelist-function-of-IdentiFi-cont...

Or we have to install NAC ? ==> extra $$ ?? No way, whitelisting a single client should be a default functionality.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I've tried it and wasn't able to find all the IPs for the service.

The magic of Netsight Purview show that the XBOX One is accessi a lot of services/servers during the logon sequence.

So NAC all the way - I'd sell you one and also install it 🙂

870c3f00fe254b0cb30fe377cd99a9b8_RackMultipart20151015-6510-c7e7zo-purview_XBOX1_inline.png

-Ron

GTM-P2G8KFN