cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding/configuring access point to controller before they are physically installed

Adding/configuring access point to controller before they are physically installed

Rich_Pacheco
New Contributor III
Is it possible to add/configure APs prior to them being physically installed. I have a new building going up and we will be installing 40+ APs. I'd like to be able to provision and configure the APs in advance. Is that possible on the C5210 controllers?

Thanks,
-Rich P.
11 REPLIES 11

Ostrovsky__Yury
Extreme Employee
Yes , all you need to is the AP serial number and AP platform . You can do it manually in the Controller GUI (Add AP) . There is also some way to script it.

We went with this method as well when we were replacing our wireless with Extreme Wireless. Our infrastructure was already in place, and with the limited time we had for an install, all we did was scan the serial into EWC, ensured our default settings were in place, labelled the AP, then handed the box to our contractor to physically complete the installation.

But don't expect that a static IP config will work

Rich_Pacheco
New Contributor III
Thanks... is there a way to do it without "unboxing" the AP? I'm hoping I can just scan the SN on the side of the box and somehow use that to register the AP with the controller. Once I have the AP in the controller, I can set the channels and power and I'm hoping that once the AP physically installed, it will connect to the controller and start working.

Darin_Seiler
New Contributor
Unbox not Inbox I meant. iPhone autocorrect:-(
GTM-P2G8KFN