Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP visibility and control in a HA Pair

AP visibility and control in a HA Pair

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Community

So I as part of a clients solution, we have deployed a High Available pair of C5210 controllers.
One controller is the primary and the other the backup.

All AP's home to the primary and also creates a backup tunnel to the backup controller.

When an AP fails over to the backup controller we see the following on the Primary controller:

acf438ad18af47c6899f584bc695addb_RackMultipart20170626-26263-1808i3c-Capture_inline.jpg

The AP indicates no channel or output power.
If you look at the AP reports on the controller it also indicates as Off.

If we look on the backup controller we do see the AP with the Channel info and transmit power info.

From the backup controller you can see the setting but not change anything again.

For the client this is very frustrating, he has to flip flop between controllers to get the full view and config.

What is your recommendations for managing this?

We also have no easy way of identifying what AP is connected to what Controller.
The only way to do this is to have a look at the AP availablility report, but the client has just over 1000 AP's and to find the specific one is not a quick process.

I would recommend they color code (Green and Blue) be added to the AP configuration list.
At least this is a quick way to see where the AP is currently homes too.
It would also be nice to be able to change AP config from any of the controllers.

Your comments?

10 REPLIES 10

Sorry, I don't understand you... legacy availability??

Rey_Juan_Carlos
Contributor
Hi Andre, we have the same problem. It's frustrating have to find a user in two controllers...
everyday we have to see if some AP have backup tunnel and manually release it to the other controller.
I think that this is not good solutions for this problem.

bye.

Hi,

As written above, i would first investigate why the APs are regularly hitting their poll timeout. Typically, as wireless deployments grow larger, denser, and clients increase, it is advised to increase the AP Poll interval. If AP Poll timeouts are seen, it is recommended to increase the Fast Failover time to 10 or 20, and the AP Poll timeout to a value of 20 to 30.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/At-what-interval-do-the-Access-Points-poll-th...

I would advise seeking your local Extreme representative to submit a feature request and discuss options for your site.

- Sam

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Just disable FF if the network design allows it.

Craig_Guilmette
Extreme Employee
Hello Andre
I hear what you are saying but the product has always worked this way. The local controller for an AP that has failed over has no ability to display anything about that AP. As when it fails over to the foreign controller the information (session) is not going through the local controller any longer so it does not see the data. Also Functioning as designed is not being able to make any config changes on an AP that has failed over to its backup controller. Simply release all foreign AP's back to their local controller to make such changes. It happens WITHOUT any user interruptions assuming the local controller is up. I do not believe this will ever be able to be changed it is simply the way the product works. You can create a formal feature request for consideration through either the GTAC or your sales rep for any improvements you wish us to make.
GTM-P2G8KFN