cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying to QoS to Wireless controller "control" traffic.

Applying to QoS to Wireless controller "control" traffic.

Rahman_Duran
Contributor

Hi,

We have a point to point metro ethernet networks of 200 mbits up/down. When the traffic hits 200 mbits, ISP drops packets. We want to apply QoS and Rate limiting/shaping so we won’t let ISP to trothle the link.

We have several AP’s running on the branch office that are running “bridge@Controller” topology. When link saturation happens, we see several problems with WiFi clients. They randomly see connection erros, authentication errors etc.

So I need to gurantee a reserved bandwith for Wireless Controller (C5210) to APs and APs to Wireless controller communication traffic only. I need to a way to determine which traffic is “Control” traffic, which traffic is WiFi users “data” traffic.

Do both user data traffic and AP-Controller traffic travels on the same tunnel? Or controller traffic is different from data tunnel traffic?

Regards,

Rahman

2 REPLIES 2

Rahman_Duran
Contributor

Hi Doug,

So user and controller traffic both travels inside the same tunnel? If it is the case than we can not separate user data traffic from control traffic. The metro ethernet link pass through Palo Alto Networks with Virtual Wire (Bridge Mode). We will do the bandwidth limiting/traffic prioritization/bandwidth guarantee on this device. It also supports traffic selection regarding to QoS bits (DSCP/ToS). Is there a document showing which QoS bits used for controller traffic and which one for user data traffic? Or can we configure them on controller?

If QoS bits does not work, we will need to switch to Bridge@AP topology. But we don’t want to, for now.

Regards,

Rahman

Doug
Extreme Employee

Hello, 

Maybe you could benefit from a simple design change to sites mode or bridge the traffic locally at the ap vs back to the controller. I would suggest talking directly to your Systems Engineer or with GTAC. GTAC can also help you with the QoS options since the control and data traffic is already tagged with a QoS bit by default. 

Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN