cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto upgrade AP3825i how long , we have 800 units spread across 2 controllers

Auto upgrade AP3825i how long , we have 800 units spread across 2 controllers

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
We are going to upgrade a couple of v5210 in the near future , attached are approx 400 AP's ( for example AP3825i ) to each controller.
After the upgrade I understand the AP's when reconnecting will look for a software update from the new code .

My question is how long will my AP's be in a unstable state as not all 400 will get upgraded at one time ..

What is the best way to upgrade the AP's ..
10 REPLIES 10

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
"My question is how long will my AP's be in a unstable state as not all 400 will get upgraded at one time .."

If the controller has default AP maintenance settings they will upgrade at once.... if you don't use fast failover.
It also depends on the upgrade path, if you upgrade from a very old image you are not able to disable upgrade of the AP image.

So how long does it take..... the main thing that affect the AP upgrade time is the link between the AP & controller, if you 've a fast LAN it should be in <15minutes in my experience(for 400 APs),
if the APs are connected via WAN it depends on the WAN speed/bandwidth available.

JP4
New Contributor II
I push the updates manually to the AP's rather than let them auto-upgrade.From AP, Global Settings, AP maintenance- change the upgrade behavior to "Upgrade when AP connects using settings from Controlled Upgrade" You can then use the controlled upgrade tab to push the updates when you want. Just another option to look at.

Chris_Sherman
New Contributor III
And forgive me for sounding like Captain Obvious, but just make sure you change that setting prior to the migration or it'll be too late!

Chris_Sherman
New Contributor III
That's correct and that's the way I always do it. Never had a hiccup. And although maybe not technically all at once, it sure seems like it. 3825s have a very fast processor and, if you've got Ron's concerns covered, I'd guess they'd be back up in less than 5 minutes - 10 minutes is what I always advertise - just in case. I have 4110s.

JP4
New Contributor II
That has been my experience in doing small incremental updates. I usually update the controllers, update a few AP's, test briefly and continue on with updating the AP's.

But what code are you currently running and what are you moving to ?
GTM-P2G8KFN