Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Band Steering without Load Groups?

Band Steering without Load Groups?

Tony1
New Contributor III
Hi guys

Is it possible to activate Band Steering (moving clients to 5 GHz band) without Load groups?
The customer request is to enable this feature on all access points. Due to huge number of APs and effort needed to create spearate Load groups - my idea is to just enable it globally on the WLC or per AP.

12 REPLIES 12

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Tony,
it's just a assumption but I think it's working this way to give the administrator of the WLAN controller more options to configure it.

I unterstand that in your case your customer want to have it enabled on all APs for every SSID (global enable) but on the other hand a lot more customers want to have it only on certain APs & SSIDs so a global enable of the function would be not working for this scenario,

But that's just my interpretation of the configiration option.

So let's wait for a Extreme employee to give some input - it's 9am already so after the first coffee I'm pretty sure that someone will respond to the post 🙂

-Ron

Tony1
New Contributor III
Hi Ron,

thanks for the fast reply.

But I don't undestand the technical background why it is necessary to group the APs. From my perspective there is no interaction between neighboring APs needed, when they should just ignore some probes or association requests on the Radio2.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Hi Tony,

you need to use the load groups to configure band steering.

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-set-up-a-Band-Preference-Group-Band...

-Ron
GTM-P2G8KFN