Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C5210 Roaming Question

C5210 Roaming Question

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice on “roaming”, specifically how I determine whether the controller or the client made the decision.

I have a particular client that was connected for over an hour to a specific access point and then “roamed” to another access point within the vicinity of that office area, it was logged as an event below;

“Inside AC from AP/Radio[2] to AP/Radio[2] VNS[SSID]” replaced SSID with placeholder.

the controller lists in the active client report that it started the session again after this so is now shown as connected for a few minutes rather than the hour or so it already had been.

So am I right in thinking that the client disconnected? or is the timer misleading? I hope it is the later as “roaming” shouldn't cause the client to disconnect between APs surely?

I'm trying to determine if the roaming is causing the device to “disconnect” completely from the wireless and then associating to the new AP causing the timer refresh?

the user operating the client is complaining of dropouts, i.e. interruptions to VC etc and it appears to coincide with these events.

I still can't determine whether it is the Wireless/Controller instigating this or the client.

so to confirm;

does “roaming” between different APs or different radios within the same AP cause a “disconnect”

or

does it just reset the session “timer” but that does reset the “session” giving the same effect as a disconnect?

If roaming is causing disconnects how do I resolve? Surely the point of roaming is it seamlessly move throughout an organisation with the same wireless system and work?

We’re running 2x C5210 Controllers, latest code, 10.51.16.0003, mostly AP3825s with some 3935s.

the APs in this particular area are 3935s.

Thanks

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for clarifying Ian, that session timer should show the time the device has been connected to the network, regardless of whether or not the client has roamed to a new AP. If you’re seeing APs restart their session every time they roam, I’d suggest opening a case so our technicians can troubleshoot that with you in more detail. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SamPirok
Community Manager

Thanks for clarifying Ian, that session timer should show the time the device has been connected to the network, regardless of whether or not the client has roamed to a new AP. If you’re seeing APs restart their session every time they roam, I’d suggest opening a case so our technicians can troubleshoot that with you in more detail. 

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III

Reports > Clients > All Active Clients

SamPirok
Community Manager

Hi Ian, I’m sorry but I’m still not clear on what page you’re looking at here. Do you mean you’re looking under Manage> Reports> Network Summary reports? 

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III

Hi Sam,

I was referencing the session time for that client within the active client report.

We do use probe suppression, but we’re quite conservative with it, -80.

The signal strength of this client is well under that. 

GTM-P2G8KFN