cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Extreme Wireless (IdentiFi) be deployed as stand-alone or it really needs a controller?

Can Extreme Wireless (IdentiFi) be deployed as stand-alone or it really needs a controller?

Gerald_Nuque
New Contributor III
We are planning to deploy just 3 units of AP3916i without controller. Is it possible that I can configure it without a physical or virtual controller? Same goes for other IdentiFi APs that requires small deployments.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PeterK
Contributor II

afaik 3620 was a 3610 with external antennas.

So, in general you can’t use it as stand-alone. If you have a Image of a 3640, I think there was a way to flash it. 

But in real, this thing is soooo old, I would recommend to not use it anymore. Last patch was in 2015.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

So, in general you can’t use it as stand-alone. If you have a Image of a 3640, I think there was a way to flash it. 

But in real, this thing is soooo old, I would recommend to not use it anymore. Last patch was in 2015.

Yes, there is an old image for the AP3640. But I can only agree with Peter, it is very old and no longer officially available.

Regards Stephan

PeterK
Contributor II

edutsilva
New Contributor

Hello, and what about AP-3620? Can it be used as stand-alone? Thank you.

Schmotter__Ryan
Extreme Employee
Gerald, there is a way to "trick" the AP into booting up without a controller and broadcasting a VNS, but you need to have the AP first adopted by a controller, and configure from the controller. It would allow clients to connect, but you would not be able to configure or troubleshoot the AP. It would not be practical for normal use, but I've used it in the past for active site surveys or one-off usage. Here is a document outlining setup:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bMj99cONofd041VjFWckZQZzA/view?usp=sharing

GTM-P2G8KFN