cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different IP subnets for different Locations with Brigde@EWC topology, possible?

Different IP subnets for different Locations with Brigde@EWC topology, possible?

Rahman_Duran1
New Contributor III
Hi,

I am using Bridge@EWC topology for our eduroam VNS. I use B@EWC because it is very easy to deploy with zero configuration on switch side. Just plug the AP to what ever vlan is availible, AP learn the EWC IP via DNS lookup, approve the AP on EWC and it is good to go in about a few minutes.

But now I have a need to differentiate the WLAN traffic per location and I don't want to give up using B@EWC topology. So is it possible to use the "Location" or "Zone" settings on the APs to assign different ip ranges per location?

Thanks,

Rahman
4 REPLIES 4

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
You can create more Wlan services. Each wlan service will have the same ssid, but different AP assigned and differeent topology (vlan). All topologies can be B@EWC.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Thank you for the clarification. It seems this is what I need.

Rahman_Duran1
New Contributor III
Hi Nathiya,

Thanks for the explanation. But can you explain using vlans? The SSID is eduroam so it needs to be same on all locations. So is it possible to create different VNS with same SSID? If it is possible I can create multiple VNS for the same eduroam SSID and map them to different vlans.

Like:
VNS_Loc_01 -> SSID:eduroam->topology:B@EWC->vlan:10
VNS_Loc_02 -> SSID:eduroam->topology:B@EWC->vlan:11
VNS_Loc_03 -> SSID:eduroam->topology:B@EWC->vlan:12

What do you think, is it possible with this way?

Thanks,

Rahman

Nathiya_Munuswa
Extreme Employee
Hi Rahman,

You can differentiate the WLAN traffic using VLAN's while B@EWC still in place. SSID's mapped to VLAN [l3 VLAN --> routing].

"Location" Define the location of the AP.When a client roams to an AP with a different location, Area Notification is triggered. The Area Notification feature is designed to track client locations within pre-defined areas using either the Location Engine or the AP Location field. When the clients change areas, a notification is sent.

"Zone" Zone is a label that can be sent to a RADIUS server in place of an AP BSSID in the called-station-id attribute. It can be easier to base authorization decisions on the zone label rather than on the BSSID. Each AP can have its own Zone label although it is often useful to assign the same Zone to multiple APs.

Both "Location" & "Zone" options will not carry the IP traffic.

Regards,
Nathiya M
GTM-P2G8KFN