cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery of AirMedia2 from wireless clients

Discovery of AirMedia2 from wireless clients

Eric_Gohringer
New Contributor
I am trying to discover AirMedia2 controllers on wired ports from wireless devices. I have extended my wireless VLAN to wired ports to do this. When I send a discovery request from a device on a wired port i see requests from said device targeting 255.255.255.255 as well as the subnet broadcast address. When I send a discovery request from a wireless device i see requests from said device targeting 255.255.255.255, but do not see requests targeting the subnet broadcast address. There is nothing in my Role that prevents this traffic from passing. What am I missing here?
4 REPLIES 4

Doug
Extreme Employee
Multicast traffic can use up a lot of your wireless medium, I would suggest giving us a call in the GTAC so we can help you work through different options.
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Eric_Gohringer
New Contributor
I enabled Multicast Bridging for 224.0.0.251/32 (mDNS Bonjour) as that is the destination I am seeing in the discovery trace. I can now discover from a Windows10 PC, but not from my Pixel 2XL. I'll test from some other devices to see where this goes.

What is the drawback to enabling Multicast Bridging?

Eric_Gohringer
New Contributor

I am using a Windows laptop for testing. We will also need to discover from Android and iOS devices eventually. I do see a multicast request on the wireless. I didn't notice that before.

Doug
Extreme Employee
What type of device is doing the request? From what I remember multicast is involved as well. By default the controller has a rule to block multicast per topology.
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN