cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterasys and apple tv mirroring

Enterasys and apple tv mirroring

Laura4
New Contributor II
We have Enterasys APs in our school. We also have apple tvs and ipads and mac books. We are having issues mirroring to the apple tv. The list of apple TVs to mirror to does not always populate with all the tvs in the school. Does the apple tv and ippad/macbooks have to be attached to the same Enterasys AP to mirror successfully?
15 REPLIES 15

Laura4
New Contributor II
I don't know. Each school may have from 10-25 tvs, all on the wireless vlan. But each school is on its own subnet.

Roy_Williams
New Contributor
Can i ask how many apple TV's do you have per Vlan

Frank11
New Contributor
We have about 60 apple TV's on a seperate VLAN which the dreaded bonjour protocol is active. For staff to mirror from thier ipads they join the same VLAN where the Apple TV's reside. Works perfectly.
The issue with Apple TV's sometimes dropping out still happens but I feel it is not a network or setup issue. We can easily solve the random issue by just rebooting the APPLE TV. I believe that the Apple TV was never designed as an enterprise device to be placed on large networks SO that is why we have the few quirks that Apple TV's have. Mostly we find them ok.

James_A
Valued Contributor
How many Apple TVs are there in the building? For debugging, run dns-sd -B _airplayin Terminal which will show the underlying Bonjour services. If they disappear and reappear often then there definitely is a problem.

John, Bonjour can be managed successfully, but there are things you can do to make it better. We have lots of Apple TVs, wired to a VLAN that is also bridged@AP to our Staff topology. I have IPv6 blocked (which halves the multicast traffic) and the Apple TVs have static IPs assigned through DHCP (which avoids problems with Bonjour Sleep Proxy), and are set to never sleep. I also drop port 5353 from Apple TV MAC addresses with a policy on our core S4 so devices in each building on see nearby Apple TVs.

Laura4
New Contributor II
How do I block IPv6?
What's Bonjour Sleep Proxy?
I have been setting the TVs to never sleep.

GTM-P2G8KFN