cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Wireless - Controller as HA Pair and AP Sites feature for bigger branches

Extreme Wireless - Controller as HA Pair and AP Sites feature for bigger branches

M_Nees
Contributor III
At a given customer szenario we have 2x V2110 as central wireless controllers (V10.41.). We use PSK and 802.1x (EAP-TLS) Authentication against Extreme Control (NAC).

Now we thought about the opportunity to use "Site" feature at 2 bigger branches to eliminate the dependency from a working WAN Connection. RADIUS Server will be a on-premise NAC Gateway. This both huger branches have a needed Servers locally.

Now i read this article:
Can I use high availability and sites in conjunction with each other? (000017850)

... so it should be decided to either use 2 controllers in a HA pair, or APs being configured for sites, but not both.

That is clearly to understand.
But this is very hard, because this means i have to destroy central HA Pair or buy a separate EWC only for this bigger branch APs. Thats both in most case no usage choice for my customer.

Do i miss something ?

Or do i have to block only the WASSP connection from "site" APs to backup controller with firewall ruleset ?

6 REPLIES 6

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello Matthias,

as far as I know there where no functional changes in this feature for a longer time.

HA is not a fixed term within ExtremeWireless, there is only "Availability" and "Session Availability. You can use Availability on the controller pair but NOT "Session Availability".

The site feature is designed for scenarios in which it is assumed that the authentication takes place locally because the controller may not be accessible, so "Session Availability" makes less sense.

Please be aware of the other restrictions (not sure if these values are actual):

• 32 APs per Site
  • 1000 MUs per Site
Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan

Do you think this KB Article is out-dated and not valid for EWC V10.41. (and later) ?

Do run these both features together on any of your implementations ?
GTM-P2G8KFN