Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Density WiFi Design

High Density WiFi Design

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Guys

So I thought that I would get the communities comment on a specific High Density wireless design.
Could make for a interesting discussion.

We have a a open room, 100 meters by 50 meters.
The room is used for students to bring your own device and then write exams.
We should cater for 1000 students.
With the various tests we have done we see 70% 2.4Ghz devices and 30% 5Ghz.

What would your designs look like for something like this?

5a887760c6b84600b6e5063bd60f31b6_RackMultipart20160801-8817-140csns-Gerga_inline.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

I agree with the 20Mhz and then rate limiting client connection speed to for example 1Mbps ect

The students will be connecting to a VDI session on the local lan.
No internet required but the bandwidth required for the VDI session depends on the content of the exam. the PCoE protocol dynamically increases or decreases the requirments based on the content in the VDI.
We have seen text only exams to take 256Kbps and then other exams with HD pictures/Videos spike to 7Mbps per client.

Also keeping in mind that bulk of the users is on 2.4Ghz, Channel reuse is very difficult even if the output power is set very low. The area is so small you will still see the other AP's

JP4
New Contributor II
Are you seeing 70% 2.4 only devices or are they 5ghz capable and just not using it ?

Alot of the students have very old "Hand me down" devices that only supports 2.4ghz

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Are they allowed to connect with more then one device or only with one for the exam.
I'd imagine that if every device is allowed they will connect with 2-3 per person - right ?

So with the in mind let's assume 2500 devices with 70% (1750 devices) on 2.4GHz would mean that you'd need at least 16APs (max.112 clients / radio > datasheet AP3935) in this "small" space.
With that ammount of clients you'd need also a dedicated V2110-large or C5210.

I'm very interested in the input of the community as I've never had such requirement/installation.
GTM-P2G8KFN