cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal APs installation (orientation in space) for Subscriber Localization on the floor plans in NMS-ADV

Optimal APs installation (orientation in space) for Subscriber Localization on the floor plans in NMS-ADV

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody,

I am going to test wifi user localization feature of Netsight Advanced and hope that 3805 and 3916 suitable for this.

I have a rectangle shaped room about 7x14 meters, separated by dry wall.

I'll install 3x3805 and 1x3916 in the corners.

The question is whether any difference exists in how to setup AP: on a wall or on a ceiling?

I know it has special importance for user localization... Actually, in 2015 I've tried to do that but result was very negative. I've got just chaotic smoky lines like someone was running through the floor with fume torch or flare =))) I think it was because of rude AP deployment and their wrong orientation in space.

Are there any recommendations for how to setup AP in optimal way for this feature?

In 2015 the only property could be used to find a user was his MAC... Are there any improvements for today? May be, IP, username, etc?

Many thanks in advance for any comments,

Ilya

9 REPLIES 9

Hello, Ron,

I am a bit confused... Did I get you correct...?

The red area is the area where location will work fine?

Why "only 2 APs provide WLAN service at this time" - what do you mean?

3x3805 and 1x3916 for 98m2 - is it OK?

Thank you!

James_A
Valued Contributor
The advice I have for recent models is for ceiling mounting. If you do mount on the wall there is an option in the maps to set the orientation. Also in the maps you can turn on location readiness coverage, so if you upload the map, place the APs and draw in the walls you should be able to get an idea of the location quality.

The search field hover text says "Search by MAC address, IP Address, host name, user name or AP serial number. Partial and case insensitive searching is supports, but only the first matching value is located. The search checks clients, APs, and devices, in that order, for possible matches." I've just done a user name search and it worked, although I generally see rings for location as my AP coverage isn't sufficient for triangulation.

Thank you, James!

Could you please enlight me what do you mean saying: "enough coverage for triangulation"?

4 APs in the corners for 98 square meters is much more than enough... or not?

James?

James_A
Valued Contributor
It's called Time-lapse Location, it's a tickbox next to the search field, and it requires enough coverage for triangulation to work before you can use it.

Hello, James,

it seems that I didn't explain my needs correctly, sorry...

I am not interested to have an ability to know to which AP the user is connected.

I am interested to know how he was moving through the coverage area - I am not sure how exactly this feature is called in NMS...

Thank you!
GTM-P2G8KFN