Did you mean: 

Problems with Realtek wireless adapters, 10.41.12.0006, AP3705i

Problems with Realtek wireless adapters, 10.41.12.0006, AP3705i

wsgc
New Contributor
C35 Controller running 10.41.12.0006
AP AP3705i
Client: Lenovo A485, Windows 10Pro - Realtek 8822BE chipset

We have issues with some clients that have Realtek chipsets when they are on 5ghz and associated with the 3705 AP. They experience extremely high latency: ping times to the nearest switch on the network over 2 seconds. Also some clients are not always able to connect after being off the network for a while.

The clients when at a different site with newer APs(38xx,39xx)) do not have this problem. We'd like to get this solved without having to buy new APs because the 3705 is still supported.

Example:

Suspend laptop. Resume next day.

Windows unable to get a working connecton.

Proto: 5.0n|L,W
RSS: -56
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 300/100
Ping time to switch: 1000-2500ms

Disassociate laptop from controller. Laptop does not connect again(Windows 10 doesn't bother trying to reconnect).
Force reconnection from client. Works.

RSS: -55
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 254/80
Ping time to switch: 500-2800ms

Disassociate. Force reconnection.

RSS: -55
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 254/80
Ping time to switch: 100-1000ms

Forcing laptop adapter to use 802.11b/g/n on 2.4ghz fixes problem.

802.11b/g/n(2.4)
Proto: 2.4n
RSS: -57
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 104/172
Ping time to switch: <5ms
24 REPLIES 24

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

@Tomasz Interesting.   Although ive noted on my Windows Laptop, its either wifi or Ethernet, not both.  If on ethernet, its like wifi just hangs in the background, something like ready for failover, and only really kicks in, if i pull the cat5 out of it, then wifi is there.  Of course, id have to ipconfig |more command to see if each adapter has an IP.

I did create a test SSID and have connected various devices onto it, but until someone comes in and says they are having an issue, and its showing the same symptoms, i wont know for sure. 

Now though, we only do 2.4ghz outside, and all versions of 5ghz inside.  But i have profiles for AP650(ah) with and without 2.4, so i can always apply that to the AP in my office, instead of walking outside to see if they connected to my AP, or the outside one.

Thanks, J.

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

I’ve heard about some latest super-dooper smartphones told to be capable of tethering Wi-Fi and using Wi-Fi at the same time. I expect it all on a single radio though.

Windows devices can use both Eth and Wi-Fi at once, then some crap may happen with two default routes, you never know which one takes precedence. 😉 But it shouldn’t be any problem for the wireless latencies itself IMO. Not sure, but perhaps failing over between different DNSes which is also needed to confirm full connectivity in Windows OS.

Did you manage to perform a new SSID test mentioned by Sephan? This would be a good thing to try to narrow the issue down.

Hope that helps,
Tomasz

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

I wasn't sure they do, just asking the question whether that's possible and if anyone knows for sure.

I do know that Macbooks can use Ethernet at the same time as wifi.  never liked that.  

Regards,

J.

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello 

Never heard the a laptop can use both frequencies. To use both at the same time you need two radios like an AP. That's expensive and batterie consuming.

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN