Did you mean: 

Problems with Realtek wireless adapters, 10.41.12.0006, AP3705i

Problems with Realtek wireless adapters, 10.41.12.0006, AP3705i

wsgc
New Contributor
C35 Controller running 10.41.12.0006
AP AP3705i
Client: Lenovo A485, Windows 10Pro - Realtek 8822BE chipset

We have issues with some clients that have Realtek chipsets when they are on 5ghz and associated with the 3705 AP. They experience extremely high latency: ping times to the nearest switch on the network over 2 seconds. Also some clients are not always able to connect after being off the network for a while.

The clients when at a different site with newer APs(38xx,39xx)) do not have this problem. We'd like to get this solved without having to buy new APs because the 3705 is still supported.

Example:

Suspend laptop. Resume next day.

Windows unable to get a working connecton.

Proto: 5.0n|L,W
RSS: -56
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 300/100
Ping time to switch: 1000-2500ms

Disassociate laptop from controller. Laptop does not connect again(Windows 10 doesn't bother trying to reconnect).
Force reconnection from client. Works.

RSS: -55
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 254/80
Ping time to switch: 500-2800ms

Disassociate. Force reconnection.

RSS: -55
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 254/80
Ping time to switch: 100-1000ms

Forcing laptop adapter to use 802.11b/g/n on 2.4ghz fixes problem.

802.11b/g/n(2.4)
Proto: 2.4n
RSS: -57
Avg.Rate(Mbps)/Sent/Rec'd: 104/172
Ping time to switch: <5ms
24 REPLIES 24

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Good idea.

You know how Mac’s can basically bridge their connections, so if they have wifi on and are plugged into ethernet, they use both.

Do you think the same can be true of wifi?  if i have a laptop that supports 2.4 and 5ghz, that they could be using both at the same time?

I do think the issue is Windows default wifi drivers, and now knowing that a Windows Update can put their default drivers back makes this suck more.  Because we will always be going back to that laptop when we find that it is connected to an AP thats a lot further away than one that may be in the same room as them (that was the initial giveaway when we first installed these AP’s).

J

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

a easy test can be to create a new test SSID and use only 5GHz for that SSID if the client can see the SSID you know the client supports 5 GHz.

Regards Stephan

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

I cant say with 100% certainty that the laptop does, but in most cases, these are band new/latest laptops (brands from ASUS, Dell, HP, etc).  Thanks, J.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

We were having a heck of a time with 2.4, due to massive interference, and so i changed wifi0 to 5ghz, and only the outdoor AP1130’s have that running (irrigation system needs that and connects over its systems antenna).  

Also, that makes sense to me that MS updates changes the NIC driver back to a MS default driver, as we have had a couple of Window PC start to have that same issue, knowing we removed the default driver and installed the latest manufacturers driver.  Thanks for letting me know that.

That sucks, so potentially any Windows Update could set the NIC driver backwards, and cause the issue all over again, as we have seen here.

J

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

In addition to the good idea from dpanev. Are you sure the AP650 uses the same frequncy band (2.4/5) as the Laptop?

And yes some MS updates change drivers.

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN