Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote console only works for user account admin

remote console only works for user account admin

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Hi,

is it FAD that the remote console feature works only with the user account admin but not with other user accounts that have rw access ?!

Other rw users don't get a connect to the AP..... tested with latest v10.41

cafdf4b01fb54e6e96ff5d3a580e1e5b_RackMultipart20180823-90982-kovdw8-EWC_remoteconsole01_inline.png

-Ron
15 REPLIES 15

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
notice service personal only
I'm service personal 🙂

But thanks, I'll give a ticket a try and let you know the result.

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello Craig,

It's incredible. You (Extreme) introduce a very nice feature which helps a lot with daily troubleshooting at our customers (all of my collagues use CLI access to the APs).
But development defines this as troubleshooting tool only for GTAC, this does not make sense in my opinion. Especially because of this feature is available at wing since a long time. I know the official speaking is that all settings can be done via GUI, but I work with the controller solution since 2008 and access to the AP directly has always been necessary (e. g. to check if all settings done via GUI are available on the AP or do check the ap.log live, to change the authipaddr, ...)

Therefore in my opinion Extreme should reconsider the classification of this function. Especially since she is already here.

Best regards
Stephan
Regards Stephan

I understand you work on the product, many do, but Engineering should have worded it Extreme Employee Service Personal only as that was their intent. We "the Escalation Support Team" met with Engineering and requested features to make our jobs easier. This was one of the features they added for us.
I know what the result will be. The tickets become escalations and those end with me and my group and everybody in my group knows what I told you above. No escalation on this feature will be accepted. But by all means if you are bored, create a ticket.

Craig_Guilmette
Extreme Employee
I agree with you if the user name has admin rights to the box it probably should work. But I will also tell you that this feature was added for GTAC techs only (notice service personal only). Engineering will not accept any escalations against any part of this feature. We already had somebody report the German keyboard does something else incorrect and the answer came back it is a feature for Extreme Support Personal to use as is.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Hi Craig,

sorry I think I've decribed it very poorly 🙂

I'm able to use the feature with the default controller GUI account "admin".

It doesn't work with any other controller GUI account that has Full Administrator (read-write) privilege (screenshot below).

In my opinion it should work with all accounts that are Full Admins on the controller.

But not a big deal I'd open a ticket to get the official answer.

Thanks,
Ron

46a7cbedbff54812ab67e1ed51d10eb0_RackMultipart20180823-105337-14k9v1f-EWC_remoteconsole02_inline.png

GTM-P2G8KFN