Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VE6120 and V2110

VE6120 and V2110

Pieper
New Contributor

Hello,

at the moment we are running a V2110 Controller and ca 300 AP´s (38XX and 39XX) are connected to it.

Since we will buy the new ECA (VE6120) I am not sure how to tell the new AP´s (5XX) to connect to the new controller instead of the old controller.

We cannot shutdown the old controller because the 38XX AP´s wont work with the new VE6120 controller. At the moment all AP´s are discovering the V2110 with DNS (controller.DOMAIN.com) due to a DNS entry.

My question is:

How can I make sure that the new AP´s connect to the new controller and the old AP´s still connecting to the old controller?

Best regards

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Thomas,

One possibility:

you can create a static entry in the AP for the new controller on the AP CLI with

cset authipaddr 1 x.x.x.x      #(x.x.x.x is the IP from the new controller)

capply

csave

Alternatively:

Point the DNS entry not longer to the V2110 but to the new controller. 

In  addition in both cases you should set Allow only approved Wireless APs to connect on the V2110 (AP->Global->Registration).

Be sure the Controller search list is configured on the AP (AP → Static configuration) that should stay on the old controller.

I assume you will not add new APs to the old controller.

Best regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Verus
New Contributor II

Hi Thomas,
A question about your configuration.
Are you using the VE6120 virtual controller on VMware? How many ap’s can you use in that configuration?
Thanks, V.

Pieper
New Contributor

Hello Stephan,

it works like a charm 🙂

I configured the “Controller search list” on all old AP´s, which will stay on the old controller. After that I changed the DNS entry to point to the new controller.

Thank you very much, I didnt thought about that solution.

Best regards

Thomas

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Thomas,

One possibility:

you can create a static entry in the AP for the new controller on the AP CLI with

cset authipaddr 1 x.x.x.x      #(x.x.x.x is the IP from the new controller)

capply

csave

Alternatively:

Point the DNS entry not longer to the V2110 but to the new controller. 

In  addition in both cases you should set Allow only approved Wireless APs to connect on the V2110 (AP->Global->Registration).

Be sure the Controller search list is configured on the AP (AP → Static configuration) that should stay on the old controller.

I assume you will not add new APs to the old controller.

Best regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN