cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I set my radio settings to on my APs?

What should I set my radio settings to on my APs?

Laura
New Contributor III
I have a C5210 controller with 3605/3610 APs. We have our APs deployed in school in almost every classroom. We have 1:1 in every school. We have Chromebooks, macbooks, ipads, Apple tvs. I have changed the radio settings on my APs many times but still have wifi issues. Mostly I am trying to find a good settings for the Tx power on the 2.4 and 5 radios. Has anyone found settings that works well in a school environment?
9 REPLIES 9

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Keep the 2.4 Ghz power low. I would use some good site survey software like Ekahau or use ATPC and do the best you can. I would also use band steering and try to get people to move to 5 Ghz. Use 20 Mhz channels and 12 to 24 Mbps for your MBR.

Rich_Pacheco
New Contributor III
I'm in the university space and I found it best to lock down the channels but allow "Auto Tx Power Ctrl" in our environment. We have about 1300 APs running 9.21.12 code with some really high density locations and it's worked well. Here is a link to a thread where folks posted good info in response to my question on 5GHz best practices.

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/5ghz-channel-planning-guide-best-practices

Good Luck.

Evan_Kuckelheim
New Contributor II
All depends on the environment!
Here is something you can start at. These settings are working fine for me in a K12 setting.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-are-the-best-radio-settings-for-my-envir...

What version FW are you running? 10.11.03.0004 has been pretty stable for me for my environment.
Not sure if you can use v10 because you have the 36** models. Make sure your at the latest version of v9 "9.21.14.0005" at the least.

You won't be able to update to v10 if you have 3600 series access points.

I would look at the AP Channels and develop a good Channel plan that eliminates/reduces co-channel interference. If you have 2.4GHz turned on everywhere and you have AP's in every classroom, you should probably turn the transmit power down to prevent interference.

I have found Chromebooks prefer 5GHz and have had good luck turning of 2.4GHz completely on whatever SSID the Chromebooks are connecting to. If you have legacy 2.4GHz devices, that won't work, but you can create a Chromebook only SSID that only transmits on 5GHz.

I generally like to use a 20MHz wide channel setting and a 12Mbps min basic rate for high density school environments.

Thanks for the info. We have 9.21.10.5. I'll have to submit a ticket to update it.
GTM-P2G8KFN