cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Wireless 1820A & AP230, only connect at 400Mbps

Dell Wireless 1820A & AP230, only connect at 400Mbps

sebus
New Contributor

Replaced (same physical place, same wifi in laptop)

Zyxel NWA1123-ACv2 with AP230

On 5Ghz connection speed dropped from 768Mbps to only 400Mbps (that is HALF)

Not something I expected.

Played with all the settings available in Connect, no difference, cannot make it nowhere near the same speed.

Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks

sebus

24 REPLIES 24

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sebus,

You are totally right, 80 MHz is unlikely to be used in an enterprise, I see few people using XIQ at home (or home office) however, so I hope there is someone with similar issue on Earth. 😉

But yeah, noone seeing this topic probably had such issue, we can try to gather some data from 802.11 captures or AP logs (or client device WLAN driver logs if possible to gather) and review it together too see possible causes but GTAC will do the same, plus there’s a chance they have already encountered something similar in the past.

Kind regards,

Tomasz

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Sebus,

as already written, I recommend creating a trace in the air when testing, this usually helps to see what goes wrong when negotiating the speed.

Regards Stephan

sebus
New Contributor

In business setup 80 Mhz is never enabled by any Extreme Partners (did check it with one we using)

So nobody really cares if it works or does not.

It is different for home use, but still wonder how many people actually care how they connect (as long as they do)

Thanks, there is indeed 1.566.0.0 driver (which needs to be installed manually, because otherwise one gets an: “[ERROR]  No compatible hardware found. The software you are attempting to install is not supported on this system. The software will not be installed."

Will need to re-test the 80 Mhz setup soon

sebus

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sebus,

Sorry for keeping you waiting. I was trying to reproduce the issue on my equipment but no luck.

I was also lurking around and saw Dell 1820A is using BCM94350ZAE chipset as its core. Someone had reported some issues when trying to use it for 80 MHz Wi-Fi and there was some country-code related stuff that seems too much hassle:https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11322-broadcom-bcm4350-cards-under-high-sierramojavecatalinabig...

Unfortunately such issue cannot be excluded. Also it might be an issue due to some newer features enabled that are not understood by the client device chipset. I had such situations with 802.11k for some VoIP phones which, I thought, just doesn’t support that; but when I enabled it for other stations, the phones started loosing connection with their server quite frequently and audio was in one direction only.

If it’s not an issue, I’d try to double-check 1820A’s drivers, I could see version 1.566.0.0 at Dell’s website. Or call GTAC so they could deep-dive to determine the possible reason based on their experience and more digging in some diagnostic traces.

I hope someone here had similar issue with this card though.

Cheers,

Tomasz

GTM-P2G8KFN