Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printers not working after migrating to aerohive

printers not working after migrating to aerohive

kjzd28b
New Contributor

Hello there,

I have an odd issue I can’t seem to figure out, so I figure it’d be useful to put the question out there to see if I can pick someone else’s brain.

A customer migrated to aerohive networks about two years ago from another wifi vendor. The upgrade went well at all sites except for one. In this specific site, the label printers don’t work when connected to the aerohive APs; meaning when a print job is sent to the printer, it only prints the first page then stops. They work on other sites except for this one. I understand you may be thinking the problem is the printers, but absolutely nothing else changed other than swapping APs from the old vendor to Arohive. We’ve tried firmware upgrades on aps, printers, server, etc, to no avail.  I’m wondering is there’s anything anything proprietary to aerohive\extreme in the way they handle the tcp stack or any other proprietary setting that may be causing this issue.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

If same model printers and same model APs with same software versions work in other locations without issues, it might be some other circumstances aside. I’d aim to compare config on selected APs from both locations. If the config is identical, we might have to look for the root cause somewhere else.

The only thing that might be tricky with APs is the 802.11 PHY. Some APs, but more often some end devices tend to not really like some sort of frames (I had an issue with Unify/Ascom VoWLAN phones when some 11k options were enabled on another wireless platform for instance).

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

If same model printers and same model APs with same software versions work in other locations without issues, it might be some other circumstances aside. I’d aim to compare config on selected APs from both locations. If the config is identical, we might have to look for the root cause somewhere else.

The only thing that might be tricky with APs is the 802.11 PHY. Some APs, but more often some end devices tend to not really like some sort of frames (I had an issue with Unify/Ascom VoWLAN phones when some 11k options were enabled on another wireless platform for instance).

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

kjzd28b
New Contributor

Yes, printers work in other sites with aerohive. what doesn’t make sense to me is that they don’t work in one specific site, but work if I use the old motorola ap they work. That’s why i’m thinking that aerohive may be adding\modifying something in the tcp stack  that’s affecting traffic as it traverses the vpn to reach the server. again,

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello kjzd28b,

do you have Aerohive in the other sites (where the Label printers are working), too? 

So do you have a place where Aerohive with you printer is working?

Regards Stephan

Stroman
New Contributor

Yes you need to check whether printer and other requirements are properly connected or not. Connect it properly  if it is not so.

GTM-P2G8KFN