cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why sta alway attach to the long distant ap, but not to the nearby one?

why sta alway attach to the long distant ap, but not to the nearby one?

zlinuxboy
Contributor

hi there,
I deploy two aerohive ap230 at home, one is on study room, the other is on living room.

when I sit on the study room and handheld two android phone, they always connect to the living room's ap and got a very low phy datarate. why not attach to the nearby ap on study room?

I have been tried to kick a sta with: clear auth station mac <client MAC>, but very soon, it reconnect to the living room ap again. not even try to have a look at the nearby one.

how to troubleshoot this situation?

5 REPLIES 5

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I would recommend lowering the power on the AP in the living room so the signal isn’t being heard in the study room. Ultimately, the client device will choose which AP to connect to based on where it hears the strongest signal coming from. You can lower the power by logging in to your XIQ instance> Go to Manage> Devices> Click on the hostname of the living room AP> Go to Configure (left hand side menu)> Go to Interface Settings under the Configuration header (still on that left hand side menu, below Configure)> Expand Wireless Interfaces> Scroll down to Transmission Power> Switch it to Manual> Set the power level you want (20 is the highest power level with the longest signal reach, 1 is the lowest power level with the shortest signal reach). For a home environment, I’d suggest starting with a max power level of 10 and monitoring things from there.  

GTM-P2G8KFN