cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIQ Connect Config Not Applying to Aerohive AP's

XIQ Connect Config Not Applying to Aerohive AP's

RichardW
New Contributor
We have just set up a new account for the free ExtremeCloud IQ Connect platform and added a couple of our old Aerohive APs (AP330 and AP370) as a test (AP's were previously allocated to the Aerohive HMOL platform). The APs have been added with no problem and I then used the reset devices to default option then updated the firmware to the latest version and uploaded the new network plan configuration (which it says completed successfully) however the APs are not broadcasting the new SSIDs and when I SSH in to them and run 'show config running' the only info displayed is:
capwap client server name nl-gcp-cws-2.extremecloudiq.com
capwap client server backup name nl-gcp-cwm.extremecloudiq.com
no other config data is displayed. Any idea why the new config data is not being applied to the APs correctly even though the system is not reporting any errors?
3 REPLIES 3

RichardW
New Contributor
I tried changing the date as described however when entering the 'int mgt0 dhcp-server options ntp1 <server ip address>' command it completed successfully but when I entered 'show ntp' the ntp server listed was still the default 'ntp1.aerohive.com' and 'show clock' still showed the 1970 date.  I was able to update the date/time by entering the command 'ntp server <server ip address>', after which the correct ip address was showing when using 'show ntp' and the correct date/time showed when using 'show clock' however if the AP is then rebooted the next time I access the CLI the date/time has reverted back to the 1970 date and 'show ntp' is back to showing 'ntp1.aerohive.com'.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Thank you for sending that tech data over. The first thing I'm noticing here is that the AP is not getting the correct time from an NTP server, it's currently showing the date as 1970. 

You can check the current time on an AP via the CLI with the command "show NTP", "show time", and "show clock". We want to make sure the state is "Enable" in the show NTP output (if it's showing as disabled, run the command "ntp enable"), and that the correct time and date are showing with the other two commands. To set the NTP server manually, use the command "int mgtX  dhcp-server options ntp1 [ip address of ntp server]". For example, if I were running this command for mgt0 and my NTP server IP address was 1.2.3.4, the command would be: int mgt0  dhcp-server options ntp1 1.2.3.4

If you don't have a preferred NTP server that you true, you could try using the US Navy's NTP server at pool.ntp.org. 

Typically the wrong time on an AP will cause issues with the AP connecting to XIQ rather than issues updating the AP, but the connection and update process have a lot in common so it's not out of the realm of possibility that this is causing your update issue. I looked through the rest of the logs but I'm not seeing anything else that jumps out at me. If we can fix the time, confirm the issue is still present, and get new tech data, I will take that to one of our XIQ engineers to get a second pair of eyes on the data, just incase they can see something I missed. 

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Richard, thanks for the detailed explanation. When you updated the APs, did you update with a delta configuration update or a complete configuration update? Delta updates are for smaller changes, so if you ran a delta update you'll want to run a complete configuration update instead (this will reboot the AP, just so you are aware). 

If you have already tried a complete configuration update, could you SSH in to the AP, enable capwap debugs, then try to push a complete configuration update again, wait for that to finish one way or the other, then pull tech data? Those capwap debugs will give us more information on the update process so we can see if there are any failures in that process within the tech data logs. If you'd like to send the tech data to me for review, my email is community@extremenetworks.com.
GTM-P2G8KFN