cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adoption of WiNG based wireless on untagged VLAN

Adoption of WiNG based wireless on untagged VLAN

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
I've got a site with about 150 WiNG based AP's. They adopt on V67 and as such, this is the default untagged vlan for each port they're connected to. For some reason, when I tell the AP's that this is V67 (as opposed to 1) in their profiles, they don't provision. So they think that the untagged port they're on in 1 when in fact it's 67. Why does this matter? We're implementing a new management platform and since it's pulling the AP configs and they don't mesh with the actual settings, it's messing up everything. Any thoughts as to why the AP's won't work when the profile says that their default vlan is 67 (bridging at the interface)? These are nearly all 4532 and 4522 devices.
14 REPLIES 14

Shay_Weir
New Contributor II
The switchport and the GE1 interface need to have the same native vlan. "mint mclp vlan" should be enabled by default. If you add a controller host entry to point the AP to the IP address of the controller, then mint mlcp vlan should be disabled. AP communicates via IP instead of vlan to the controller. A more direct approach. Just a little more information to help.

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
I'm so confused...  There is a "vlan1" virtual interface set for DHCP. I can't delete it, as when I try it says that it does not exist. As such, I can't create a vlan67 virtual interface using DHCP (only one can use DHCP I believe), so when I try to commit - it fails. The controller is also on V67 (untagged in the switch), but believes it's on V1 untagged too. Been this way for 3 yrs or more. All works fine except for the new mgmt tools (which think that the native Vlan for all of the AP's is the same as the LAN, which it's not).

Phil_Frederick
Extreme Employee
Ah, I see now. The root of the issue appears to be your APs are unable communicate with a controller using MiNT on VLAN 67, but can on VLAN 1. I'd start drilling down into the wired network at this point.

Is the controller local or remote? If local, is the controller's native VLAN also 67? If it's remote, is port 24576 allowed for VLAN 67?

What DHCP options are you pushing to the APs?

Is the AP getting a valid DHCP address on VLAN 67? Can you access the AP via SSH over VLAN 67?

Things like that.

Shay_Weir
New Contributor II
This is what we have and it works great... interface ge1 switchport mode trunk switchport trunk native vlan 67 no switchport trunk native tagged switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30,67,...... no lldp receive no lldp transmit interface vlan1 shutdown interface vlan67 ip address dhcp ip dhcp client request options all

Eric_Burke
New Contributor III
Understood. That's what I was originally saying in the post. If I set it to v67, it will not adopt. It's set to trunk, as we're bridging at the ge1 interface so I assumed that was/is correct...
GTM-P2G8KFN