cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ap7532 panel and patch antennas

ap7532 panel and patch antennas

gluo
New Contributor II

When would one use a PATCH antenna ML-2452-PTA3M3-036 and when a PANEL ML-2452-PTA6M6-036?

How should they be placed?

best regards.
5 REPLIES 5

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Antenna selection is a little topic all on its own.
Primarily though, the main differentiators are going to be the horizontal (azimuth) and vertical (elevation) beamwidths, and gain.
You would select an antenna based on your 'needs'.

So given that, I can't directly answer your first question because I don't know what the 'needs' are.

As far as placement, when using any sort of antenna that has directionality (a non-omni antenna) you would face the antenna as directly as possible facing the area you want covered. It's directional....so you 'point' it in the direction you need. 

gluo
New Contributor II
Thank you for your answer.

ckelly
Extreme Employee
We have a very large number of customer that are successfully using APs models with internal omni antennas at 10m heights (usually warehouses). The APs in this case are installed 'facing' down (as if they are mounted on the ceiling).

Using a properly spec'd patch/panel atenna in these situations would also work. In fact, it should work better. Primary reason the customers are using the APs with internal antennas is because of cost (don't have to buy both AP and external antenna) and the ease of installation (no extra installation steps involved for mounting the external antenna).

As far as how/where the antennas should be placed? That's a much more complicated question....and one that should be answered by a person that knows how to properly survey wifi. I'll say that popular methods will either be to mount the AP/antenna near the ceiling and facing down...or on the side walls so they 'shoot' down an aisle (if it's a warehouse environment with tall racks).

gluo
New Contributor II
And how/where should it be placed? Mounted on the ceiling facing down?
GTM-P2G8KFN