cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APs do not preserve a new profile upon restart

APs do not preserve a new profile upon restart

Tiago_Juliano_F
New Contributor
Hello! I need to migrate APs from one native Vlan to another (from VLAN 1 to 10). I make the settings for Wing 5.8 by creating a new profile (ap-7532-new) and setting the VLAN settings. Everything seems to work, the AP adopts the correct IP but when it restarts it goes back to the previous profile (default-ap3572).

I make sure I commit and save but still do not maintain the new Profile settings.

Procedures:

- I created the new profile in Configuration-Profiles
- I set Ethernet Ports and Virtual Lan for my scenario
- In the specific Device I set the Profile

Did I forget something?

49787eda74244b2887102e59543bee33_RackMultipart20181025-94537-1ylpiu9-wing-profile_inline.png

23 REPLIES 23

Ondrej_Lepa
Extreme Employee
Hi Tiago,

always make sure you used commit write or Commit & save before WiNG device gets rebooted.

Commit only is not reboot-surviving as it is not writte into startup-config...

• commit = running-config
  • commit write = startup-config
Also, make sure there is no version-mismatch - this would prevent mismatched AP from writing new config to its memory.

Regards,
Ondrej

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi Tiago,

Might we see both profiles (pre/post commit) and the device overrides?

Kind regards,
Tomasz

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Normally, if you were going to be making changes in an AP Profile for only some subset of APs, you would either create an entirely new Profile those APs...or make the configuration changes as override settings (less preferable method unless it's small changes and only to a few APs - otherwise, it just creates too much keep up with from a management perspective)

Hypothetically, if this migration is simply to move APs from one untagged VLAN to a different untagged VLAN, then *no* changes should be necessary. What we're trying to figure out here though is WHY the changes you're making are creating the problem.

Try moving just one AP to use this new Profile and see what happens.
If it continues to behave as before, then we need to get access to the AP immediately after it receives the new config so you can run some queries to find out what is making it angry. First thing I would test after receiving the new Profile is to see if it's still able to see the controller using MiNT. If so, then none of this should be happening.

OK! Is that all in the AP profile correct?

Yes, they are Vlan's for management. Currently the Management Vlan is 1 but I need to migrate the APs gradually to Vlan911. That is, in the controller I need to keep the APs in the old Vlan (Vlan1) and migrate gradually.
GTM-P2G8KFN