Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Hope between two different model APs

Auto Hope between two different model APs

Ravi_Patel
New Contributor
Hi,
I have few Motorola AP 5131 and few Wing AP 7532. I have created same SSID under all APs Example SSID: WWMS-WiFi.
I checked that my wireless device can auto hope as I walk in ware house.
But at some point my devise keep connected to AP which is far than nearest AP.
Do you think auto hope can work between any two APs(Assuming Same SSID)?

8 REPLIES 8

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Ravi, normally, you want to have APs from the same vendor to ensure proper communications between APs so that seamless roaming can happen. But, even though the 5131 and 7532 are from the same vendor, they use different operating systems and will not communicate with each other. You *will* be able to have the your wireless devices 'hop' between each of the 5131's, or between each of the 7532's, but if the client needs to hop from a 5131 to a 7532, the client will have to re-authenticate with the new AP as part of the hop.

Carlos_Assunção
New Contributor III
If they are on the same subnet it should just fine. Except during roaming from 5131 to 7532 the devices shou authenticate again. But it should work fine.

Ravi_Patel
New Contributor
Hi Chris,
Is that mean auto hope is only possible between two same model APs?
I have 5 motorola AP 5131 (which are pretty old) and newly installed 2 Wing AP 7532.
Do you think I should remove all AP 5131 and install AP 7532 or what is other possible solution?
At the beginning of buying AP 7532 i wasn't know about this thing.
Please advise.
Thank you

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Sounds like you're dealing with a 'sticky client' problem. Not uncommon for certain wireless clients to do this. The 7532, if it is using recent enough firmware, has some functionality that you can enable to help this issue. It's called 'Roam Assist'.
The 5131 does not have this feature and there won't be much you can do on the 5131 to help with this issue.
GTM-P2G8KFN