Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients can not get IP on locally bridged wlan

Clients can not get IP on locally bridged wlan

Phil_storey
Contributor
Hi
we have the RFS7K running 21 Ap7532 units, currently the the WLAN's are tunneled ,
There is a hotspot which is vlan 10 and works OK, But I needed another WLAN but only on 2 AP's. But I wanted this WLAN to be locally bridged.
So on the network switch I created a new VLAN ( 99) the ports assigned are the same as VLAN 10 as VLAN 99 clients will get their IP form the same end point as those connected on VLAN10

Then the vlan was added to the AP, GE port 1 allowed vlans 1,10,99 ,

Do I need to have a Virtual Interface for vlan 99 ?

The wlan has been created and in the vlan assignment it is set to single VLAN 99

The device can see the new WLAN but fails to get an IP address, and I'm not sure why

adsl - DHCP server - Network switch port has vlan 10,99 ( trunk port ) ----- the switch where the AP is connected is a trunk port with vlan 10,99,

The AP GE port is a trunk port with vlan 10.99 ,

the ADSL router is nothing special,

The devices that are on VLAN10 and the Wlan is tunneled get an IP but VLAN99 where the Wlan is locally bridged do not, just show connecting then obtaining IP

Assistance gratefully received
4 REPLIES 4

Phil_storey
Contributor

Hi Everyone,
    Grab a brew, its going to be a long one, But hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, This involves a Motorola RFS7K and the AP7532. It may be that I need to get it moved to Motorola forums

Vlan 1 = LAN  Vlan 10 = HotSpot

So I have a Nortel 5520 POE switch. I have set Port 1 as VLAN 10 and the default VLAN is 10, On the port there is an ADSL router which then does the DHCP requests.

Port 2 has the RFS7K connected and this is a trunk port with VLAN 1 & 10, The RFS port is set as a trunk port

Port 3 has an AP7532 the ethernet port on the switch is set to be a trunk with Vlan 1 . The ethernet port on the AP is set as a Access port with allowed VLAN's 1 & 10

And the AP I have created two virtual adapters for Vlan 1 & 10. Then when the wifi networks were created one is for Vlan 1 and the other for Vlan 10. 

The wifi networks are set to tunnel ( so all the traffic passes through the controller - RFS7K.

so if I connect to VLAN 1 I get an IP on the LAN no problem and can see the network shares etc
I then connect to the other wifi network ( hotspot ) and get and IP and can get out onto the internet.

So Here is what I wanted to do. I want to move the WLANS from tunnelled to local. The way I read it was that I need to ensure that the port on the Nortel switch that the AP connects to is a trunk port so I chaged it from Access to trunk.

I then disabled the Virtual adapters in on the AP7532. then on the RFS7K went in to the wifi config and disabled the wifi, then changed it from tunnelled to local, saved and committed then re-enabled the wifi.

I could see the  wifi put the passkey in but was unable to get an IP, So I set a static IP for the LAN, but was still unable to browse the network

Daren_Ellis
Extreme Employee
HI Phil,

I am assuming you have a ASDL router that plugs into a managed switch.
We need to know if a wired client plugged into same switch as AP is able to get an IP address on VLAN 99?

If answer is yes "Client gets ip on vlan 99"

Please run the following capture on the AP you are testing.
service pktcap on interface ge1 verbose count 200 filter port 68

If you are seeing discovery and no reply from DHCP server issue is with LAN as we are forwarding the packets on to the Lan segment.

Phil_storey
Contributor
Hi
The only thing that is different between VLAN10 and VLAN99 is that VLAN99 is locally Bridged
the port the ADSL router connects to has VLAN 10 and VLAN 99 on it . VLAN 99 is allowed on the ports the AP's connect to as is VLAN10., On teh AP's GE1 has VLAN 1,10,99 allowed.

So VLAN 10 & 99 leave via the same end point the ADSL router, which also the DHCP server

VLAN10 is tunnelled back to the RFS But I want VLAN99 locally bridged. To be Honest I want all the WLAN's locally bridged, which should give a bit of a performance improvement

Daren_Ellis
Extreme Employee
Hi Phil,

Have you validated that a local PC pulled into the same switch as the desired AP is able to get a ip on vlan 99?

If AP is properly configured (trunked) for vlan 99.
Sounds like something is possibly off on the LAN side.
GTM-P2G8KFN