Did you mean: 

Configuring different VLANs for Access Points and WLANs

Configuring different VLANs for Access Points and WLANs

dot1x
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I'm new to Extreme wireless.
Could someone please assist how can we configure the following:

1. APs get the IP Address from Management Subnet.
2. WLANs users get the IP Address from different subnet than the APs.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Madeline
Extreme Employee
1. When you say WiNG AP is configured with DHCP IP for VLAN 1 which is the native VLAN for ge1.
It is the case when the switchport has no config on it? Correct me if I'm wrong?
>> I'll assume that you are referring to AP int ge configuration, and the default behaviour is as below:
interface ge1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1
interface vlan1
ip address dhcp
ip address zeroconf secondary
ip dhcp client request options all

2.If we want APs to get IP address from a different VLAN, say VLAN10 and WLAN users on VLAN20. Do we need to configure the switchport as a trunk port with native VLAN as VLAN10?
>> Yes, on top of that you will need to configured AP interface ge1 to allow VLAN 10 and VLAN 20
For example:
interface ge1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 10
no switchport trunk native tagged
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20

dot1x
New Contributor II
Hi Madeline,

Thanks for your reply.
When you say WiNG AP is configured with DHCP IP for VLAN 1 which is the native VLAN for ge1.
It is the case when the switchport has no config on it? Correct me if I'm wrong?

If we want APs to get IP address from a different VLAN, say VLAN10 and WLAN users on VLAN20. Do we need to configure the switchport as a trunk port with native VLAN as VLAN10?

Madeline
Extreme Employee
Hey Moin,
  1. By default, WiNG AP is configured with DHCP IP for VLAN 1 which is the native VLAN for ge1
  2. For WLAN user to get Ip address from a different subnet, multiple ways can be done:
Hope this helps~!
GTM-P2G8KFN