Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Randomzation MAC Client

Disable Randomzation MAC Client

ARUN_SHARMA
New Contributor II

Hi,

How can I disable wireless client with Randomisation MAC and having ability to share wireless with QR code?

Customer has 2 separate setup with WiNG Controller and WiNG AP and running on WiNG5 and WiNG 7 firmware on each controller  .

Kindly suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

To be clear, Cisco has the ability to detect that a client is using a ranomized MAC and to then DENY those MACs from accessing the wifi. The system does NOT actually disable the MAC randomization function on the client.

Think carefully about the implications of enabling that type of feature.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ckelly
Extreme Employee

To be clear, Cisco has the ability to detect that a client is using a ranomized MAC and to then DENY those MACs from accessing the wifi. The system does NOT actually disable the MAC randomization function on the client.

Think carefully about the implications of enabling that type of feature.

ARUN_SHARMA
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. I know that MDM has this feature to restrict client with Random Mac. But as far as I know, Cisco also has this feature in their WLAN hardware to disable this. 

This is a big security breach and every client (specially Android/Iphone) has this feature and the client can share WLAN without knowing the passkey to others.

BTW, I am in touch with local SE team.

Thanks

PeterK
Contributor II

client with Randomisation MAC has “nothing” to do with the wireless infrastructure.

This needs to be disabled on client-side, maybe manual or via MDM system.

You can choose every free qr-code generator for creating qr-code with wireless-params. AFAIK there is no build in feature in wing. 

Christopher_Fra
Extreme Employee

Hello Arun,

WiNG natively does not have any mechanism to disable client randomization and/or QR codes for SSID. 

Please reach out to your Extreme Networks SE and have them submit a “Feature Request” for these 2 features.  

GTM-P2G8KFN