cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I unconfigure the 802.11b protocol at all my 4610 APs? The AP are controlled by a WM3700.

How can I unconfigure the 802.11b protocol at all my 4610 APs? The AP are controlled by a WM3700.

Josimar_Rivera
New Contributor
We have to apply some changes at the wireless infrastructure, one of them is disable or unconfigure the 802.11b protocol, but I was looking for some method to apply it for all the APs at once. I only know how to do that but one by one AP
12 REPLIES 12

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
"..... so does that mean the performance drops to 11Mbps if a b device connects to g?"

Please keep in mind that even if you configure g/n only that the min. basic rate of 802.11g is 6mb.
So even with g/n only a client at the border of the WLAN cell could connect with "only" 6mb.

Make sure to enable Flexible Client Access...
>VNS > Global > Wireless QoS -> Flexible Client Access AND also on the WLAN Service in the QoS section
...so every client get's the same time to tx data = slower clients will not affect faster clients.

Another thing is to reduce the number of SSID to a minimum as all the beacon/mgmt frames are tx with min basic rate and that could result in a BIG overhead = wasted airtime = wasted bandwidth.

* i.e. AP with 6 SSID..
min basic rate 1mb = 26% utilization
min basic rate 2mb = 13% utilization
min basic rate 6mb = 4.3% utilization
...if you tx only 3 SSIDs you'd reduce also the overhead by 50%
*from a Extreme presentation

Laura4
New Contributor II
when i look at the clients that are attached to the AP, it says they are using b/g.
does transmit power have anything to do with performance? Both radios are set to "Max Tx Power" at 24 dBm. radio 2 current Tx power is always higher than radio 1 Tx power.

its only backwards compatible if you have b turned on. If you have it set to g/n instead of b/g/n then the b client should not be able to connect.
You will want to test this to verify though.

Laura4
New Contributor II
that makes sense, thank you for the explanation,
i have another question you might be able to help with,
We have enterasys 3605 APs in our schools. Radio 1 is on a/n mode on the 5 GHz band and Radio 2 is on g/n mode on 2.4 GHz.
I read somewhere that g is backwards compatible with b, so does that mean the performance drops to 11Mbps if a b device connects to g?

Its not just about the speed maxing at 11m. Its the protection mode that the Ap turns on when a B client is in the area.

think about a race track with cars going around it at 200mph. If a car has a problem then they wave the flag and slow everyone down so there is not a crash. Same applies here. When a B client comes on he cant tell what the G,N clients are doing so the AP slows everyone down to the b level to make things fair.
this causes a severe performance drop because all the things in the newer protocols to make things faster are thrown out in favor of common ground to support the b client.

Hope that makes sense
Sean

GTM-P2G8KFN