Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI

How to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI

Adam15
New Contributor
Hello,
I'm looking for a basic guide on how to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI. I need 3 SSIDs with WPA2 authentication assigned to separate VLANs. I can't find any simple guide on how to do this, the CLI reference guide doesn't help me at all, there is too much information on hundreds of pages.

So far I've created a virtual controller with static IP.

Please help!
13 REPLIES 13

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Technically, you SHOULD be able to just leave VLAN-1 as your native VLAN (untagged) on the AP. It shouldn't matter what VLAN-ID it is...just the fact that it's untagged would allow it to work.

So would look like this: (actual commands are in bold)
en
config
self
interface vlan 1
ip address 10.104.x.x/26 <--Yep, that's a command. Just give it the actual full IP address with the slash /26 at the end, as shown
.. (yes, that is two dots - backs you out one level out of the interface vlan1 section)
ip default gateway x.x.x.x
commit wr
show context

Adam15
New Contributor
Great, thanks! Yes, I meant virtual controller, thought about mint protocol and ended up with mint controller 

Yes, VLAN 43 is LAN-Devices, not used in wireless networks, purely for device management and it's untagged on my switch port, other VLANs which are used for WLANs, are tagged on a port connected to AP and should be allowed on interface ge1. I think that this part should be set correctly. Even when there is a problem with it, it's pretty easy to figure it out . I wonder if I could just leave VLAN 1 for management with assigned static IP address when VLAN 1 is not used in my network. I think it doesn't make any difference, while 43 is untagged on APs port on the switch.

IP address 10.104.x.x/26 - it's a command, right?

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Ahh...okay. So you *are* using one of the APs as a virtual controller....(is this what you are referring to as your "MiNT controller" ?)

Regarding the mgmt VLAN - So you are using VLAN-43 as your mgmt VLAN? Untagged?

If so, then to implement a static IP address for an AP in the CLI, it would look like this:
config
self
interface vlan <43?>
ip address 10.104.x.x/26
.. (yes, that is two dots - backs you out one level)
ip default gateway x.x.x.x
commit wr
show context

You would need to configure the ge1 port to properly reflect the trunk settings as well. Make sure that all of the allowed VLANs are included and specify the native VLAN (and if it's tagged or untagged)

Setting up an AP as a virtual controller takes a couple of steps too...but there SHOULD be existing documentation out there that walks you through this. As of a recent release of WiNG software, the VC capabilities have also been expanded....so if you are using new enough code, you would need/want to setup those extra new VC capabilities too.

Adam15
New Contributor
Thank you, Chris!
I was changing settings on my mint controller, used some guides found on the internet and changed management VLAN from 1 to 43 without changing IP (it was a part of a bigger sequence), I'm a little bit ashamed, because I wouldn't do it again from GUI (some time ago I had a problem with deleting IP from my mgmt VLAN) but from CLI it didn't worry me at all, because I thought VLAN 43 was on DHCP by default and I ended up with no connection. So I think that the part of your response with a different VLAN explains exactly what happens in my case. The question is how to set the same management VLAN safely via CLI, it would be easy in GUI, here it's a little bit harder and I want to be sure before doing some wrong changes and losing another AP . My APs work in subnet 10.104.14.65/26.

By the way, I only used a command to make it a virtual controller, when I made any changes on it they weren't propagated automatically. I think it is the last thing I need to know to have a basic idea of how to configure APs from scratch via CLI, most of it thanks to you ofc .

Thank you for your time and help! I hope that your detailed answers will help more people than just me, it's really hard to find step by step solutions on forums or even on google.

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Adam, to have the APs able to hear/talk to each other via MiNT level-1 (which is what would be occurring between APs local to each other) you just need to ensure that the connection points between APs allows Layer-2 Ethertype 0x8783 (just make sure they share the same management VLAN).
There's no need to have either an actual WiNG controller (hardware or VM) or even an AP configured as a VC (virtual controller) to make this work. These APs can operate as if their were old-school FAT-APs, completely autonomous (just means that any configurations has to be done manually on each AP, right?).
Even operating that way, as long as the MiNT mlcp vlan configuration option is enabled on the APs, they will discover and form level-1 MiNT links with each other. If you want to check this option, look at the running config. Run this command. You should see 'mint mlcp vlan' w/o a 'no' statement in front. If you see: 'no mint mlcp vlan' then that is your problem.
# show running-config include-factory |in mlcp

If it has the default settings, you should see:
mint mlcp vlan
mint mlcp ip
mint mlcp ipv6

In case you haven't already discovered it yet, you can check various MiNT connections/stats using different commands. Where I'd start first is with this one. This will confirm if an AP is able to discover the other APs via MiNT.
# show mint neighbors
If the result of this command comes up empty, then it means that the AP is not able to discover the other APs on its management VLAN. What I would do next in that case is see if you can simply PING one of those other APs (This presumes that they have an SVI configured with an IP that should be PING'able). If you can, then you have layer-3 connectivity to them. The problem then is with the layer-2 connection between them. That part, YOU will have to figure out. 🙂

When you say it shows the controller as a MiNT neighbor....you didn't mention until this point, but do you have an actual controller in this mix?
GTM-P2G8KFN