Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logging vs system events

logging vs system events

el_magneto
New Contributor

Hi,

Can you explain me what is the differene beetween logging and system events?

f83673e8cd1d4c2092ce7cb895d5a1db_6e5a307b-938b-4881-99de-c2ac7b1c09e6.png

Lets say that I have loggin enabled on debug level and events disabled. What do I lose? 

And how to think of that from perspective of APs or controller? In my humble opinion documentation doesn’t explaint it well. 

1 REPLY 1

ckelly
Extreme Employee
el_magneto,   The Logging section is for the use of sending syslog messages and determining what ‘level’ those messages will be. (more detailed...less detailed).    The system Event message section is used for having the controller/AP send “Event” messages.  For this to work, you first have to create an Event Policy.   This Event Policy allows you to define which ‘events’ will cause the device to then send either a syslog message, trap, or email (or AP forward info to controller).  So the Event Policy also includes syslog messages….but not the detail level of the syslog messages.  

Lets say that I have loggin enabled on debug level and events disabled. What do I lose? 

And how to think of that from perspective of APs or controller? In my humble opinion documentation doesn’t explaint it well. 

If you have logging enabled on debug and events disabled, the device will send syslog messages at the DEBUG detail level to the remote syslog host you specify.

The Event Policy is just a way of specifying EXACTLY which events you are interested in sending….and HOW you want to send those event notifications (send them via email? or syslog message?  or trap?).  The Event Policy allow you to create this customized set of rules.

GTM-P2G8KFN