cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering off one AP removes others from wireless domain.

Powering off one AP removes others from wireless domain.

Chris_McCann
New Contributor
HI,
I have a AP7532 and AP6522's in a RF Domain. First problem was I had to do some manual config on our central NX7520 controller as the AP7532 wouldnt adopt. Then all fine, however if I power off the AP7532 I am getting the AP6522 unadopting ! They readopt after 10 mins but this is a pain and not really acceptable to the end users.

Any ideas why this would be happening. The AP6522 have been in place for a while and we are just replacing them with AP7532.

many thanks,

Chris.
5 REPLIES 5

Chris_McCann
New Contributor
I think I am beginning to understand. Am I correct in saying that each RF Domain will have its own controller, in this case the AP7532. if other APs go down its ok, but if the RF Domain controller goes down then there is a ten minute 'convergence' process ?

Hi Chris,

Yes that's essentially it. Due to WiNG's distributed architecture, each separate RF Domain has it's own 'Manager' called an RFDM (RF Domain Manager) - this is usually an AP in RFDMs of less than 256 APs. The AP that acts as the RFDM is the highest-performance model with lowest MAC address. So if you only have a single AP7532 and it's rebooted, it will most likely cause disruption.

If you have multiple AP7532s in the RF Domain then you may have configured a static RFDM?

Thanks,
Darrel.

Chris_McCann
New Contributor
OK it looks like it is, just pulled off this on the AP7532.
ap7532-3A9EA4#sh rf-domain-manager
RF Domain 99MINW_RFD
RF Domain Manager:
ID: 1B.3A.9E.A4
Priority: 90
Has IP MiNT link
Has wired MiNT links
Device under query:
Has IP MiNT links
Has wired MiNT links

and this off one of the other devices.
ap6522-676374#sh rf-domain-manager
RF Domain 99MINW_RFD
RF Domain Manager:
ID: 1B.3A.9E.A4
Has IP MiNT link
Has wired MiNT links
Device under query:
Priority: 40
Has IP MiNT links
Has wired MiNT links

SO the ID on both is the mac address of the AP7532.

OK, it should be our central controller, any advice

Chris_McCann
New Contributor
It shouldn't be as it has been configured through a central controller (althought it wouldnt auto adopt and it took some manual intervention). It has pulled down its config from a central controller.

Is there a way I can confirm ? Couldnt see anything obvious within the config.

GTM-P2G8KFN