Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rf domain - controller managed and control vlan

rf domain - controller managed and control vlan

Daniel_Starosci
New Contributor III
Hello,

We have a rf-domain with 78 AP's. Right now that rf domain is controller managed. We would like to give it a vlan for control traffic where in our case it would be 1 since the AP's interface is vlan 1.

I heard that the max amount of AP's you can have in a rf domain and have a control vlan is 64. Is it possible to have both controller managed and a control vlan at the same time ? We tried that before and got reports that clients could not connect ( rf guns).

Just trying to find out what went wrong here.

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

Clients could not join a wireless network at all. My phone could not join the guest wireless network (could see the SSID just would not join) and the scan guns could not join their wireless network (connects automatically when the SSID is present).

Being in the same location and changing it back to controller managed, everything connected like it should.

Daniel.....I don't want to sound like I'm unnecessarily splitting hairs here, but can you tell me how *YOU* define 'not able to connect' ?

I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue with clients successfully associating to APs but not able to pass traffic.... versus clients not able to associate with APs...period.

We could not get clients connected at all. This ranges from cell phones, laptops and scan guns. Once we change it back to controller managed, they automatically connect just fine.

Yes, all WLAN's are tunneled.

Here is how the rf-domain is now. We just change the control vlan to 1 instead of controller managed.

rf-domain Ind-Exp
location Ind
timezone EST5EDT
country-code us
use smart-rf-policy "SMARTRF INDUSTRIAL"
layout area Outside
layout area Building-1
layout area Building-3
layout area Building-2
controller-managed

How an AP in that rf-domain is setup :

PrimaryControll#sh ip int brief on Ind-Exp-AP-66
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTERFACE IP-ADDRESS/MASK TYPE STATUS PROTOCOL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vlan1 10.160.11.81/24(DHCP) primary UP up
vlan1 169.254.165.16/16(ZEROCONF) secondary UP up

Tomasz:

Regarding that scenario:
If MiNT adoption to the controller is/was via level-1 MiNT link...and now it *should* be level-2, and the WLAN is configured as tunneled....

In that case, if the APs adoption was left as being adopted using level-1 MiNT, then no issue. Tunneled traffic over level-1 MiNT. Good to go.
If the AP adoptions were changed to level-2 adoptions and the WLAN was tunneled, then yes....this would break communications. The APs would have to be setup to tunnel traffic over level-2 MiNT links. It can be done, but has to be configured.

But....even still, it shouldn't stop a client from simply associating with an AP. Worse case, the client can associate, but cannot pass traffic through the AP. But they'd still be associated, right? That's what I'm trying to figure out here....are the clients *actually* associating or not.
GTM-P2G8KFN