cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFS4000 running 5.8.1.0-012R - AP6522 running in bridge mode

RFS4000 running 5.8.1.0-012R - AP6522 running in bridge mode

Jeremy-Bullfrog
New Contributor

Further to a previous post on this forum, trying to get an AP into bridge mode, I've acquired an AP6522 which is supposed to support bridge mode, however under RF mode I can only select 2.4Ghz-wlan,5Ghz-wlan or sensor. I should be able to select bridge, what am I missing here?

It's successfully adopted to an RFS4000 running version 5.8.1.0-012R.

Thanks

Jeremy

5 REPLIES 5

Daren_Ellis
Extreme Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Assuming you mean client bridge mode.
Yes the AP6522 supports client bridge mode.
You did not specify if you checked both radio1 and 2.

I would suggest if possible to be on the newest version of 5.8.x code which is 5.8.9.6

See some articles below on Mesh and client bridge setup for WING:
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000101025
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082884

Thanks Daren.
I was following the second example which you happen to have given - https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082884
I've tried both radio 1 and radio 2.

The "bridge" option  shown in the second screen shot which you've to select on that article isn't there.
I had on various previous occasions when entering the command "rf-mode bridge" been given in reply an error message suggesting the device doesn't support it.

I therefore obtained an AP6522 as the article actually shows and mentions it.

I've now upgraded the RFS4000 and AP6522 to version 5.8.6.7 the nearest I have available to your suggested version, the next version after that which I have is 5.9.1.11-002R however I've AP650's I want to keep going, not sure if they are still supported in that version. Even on 5.8.6.7 that option (bridge under rf mode) isn't there. I don't know if it's because the wing version is too old, or perhaps I need to turn something off, in order to have that feature appear.

To answer the other question the scenario reason for all this, I'm trying to extend a wifi (which has internet access) that's controlled by a cisco router, I've no control over the cisco router, plugging into the back of the cisco router, puts me on a different network with no internet access. So I need to client bridge to the wifi.  Once connected to that wifi I then want to extend it using mesh to at least another 3 AP650's. You were kind enough to answer a previous post in relation using AP650's in a mesh configuration, but the example given which is also your first link above, assumes that the wing controller is fully in control of the original wifi network and I came to a brick wall.

So anyway how to get the elusive RF client bridge mode turned on. Incidentally I've also tried an AP622.

Thanks again for any suggestions from you that might help.

Jeremy-Bullfrog

Hi Jeremy,

I would try loading 5.9.1.11 on the AP6522 and see if you now have that option.
The 650 is one of the OG APs moving from 4.x to 5.x 
I can't remember but i think it should still upgrade as the AP6532 is the same (kind of model AP) but site survivable.
Version 5.9.2.x and above is where most APs are actually phased out. 

Note:
If you are connecting to a WiNG infrastructure with the "bridge" you can just use MCX worst case scenario with the AP6522.

Thanks Daren

Apologies for delay, became unwell.

I managed to get the unit working by deleting my AP6522 profile recreating it and then running the cli commands to put the AP into bridge (client mode) , bizarrely if I go into the GUI to review the changes it shows the RF Mode under radio settings as a blank box. I'm still running under version 5.8.6.7 would you still recommend I update to version 5.9.1.11-002R which is the only other version I have to hand.

At least it's now working , so thank you for pointing me in the correct direction.

Jeremy_Bullfrog

GTM-P2G8KFN