Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configre AP7522

Unable to configre AP7522

peawet08
New Contributor II
Hi,

If similar questions have been asked before, please forgive me asking again.

I am trying to add some AP's to an NX5500 (5.8.6.9).

I already have about 7 AP7522's connected and they appear to be communicating ok.

I am now trying to add an additional 7522 (5.8.6.9) that was previously connected to another controller. The AP appears to be adopted to the controller but is not loading the default policy as the other units have. The Auto Provisioning profile is configured for this AP type though.
When I query the AP in the dashboard I can see the old Wireless LAN SSID's an d it is also not being assigned an IP as it should, based on the profile.

I also have an AP650 that was originally configured against old RFS controller. When connected to the NX5500, it appeared to be adopted and the firmware upgrade to 5.8.6.9.
This AP is also not downloading the profile from the controller but I can get onto this unit with SSH and can see it is just loading the default profile from the AP, not the controller.
There is no option in the NX5500 to add the Auto Provisioning to ap650 profile.
The radios on this unit are "off" and complaining about the country code not being set. However the country code is set by the RF Domain, which is associated with the Auto Provisioning Policy and as this can't be set against the ap650 I have tried to override the country code at the device level but I guess that because it isn't getting any policy it's also not accepting changes.
I have tried sending a factory reset but end up in the same situation.

Any help is appreciated as I'm new to the Extreme Wing type devices.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peawet08
New Contributor II
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help. It was a configuration issue in the default-ap650 profile I had created.

The key was you saying it might be layer2/3 connectivity to the controller. The issue was that I had accidentally ticked the "Tag Native VLAN" in the ethernet settings.

It looks like it is working now.

If we were in a bar together, I'd buy you both a beer!!!

Mark

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Good work, Mark!
This exact scenario is usually the most difficult to troubleshoot when you have adoption problems....because you don't know what is causing it.
What's really nice though is the reversion feature since it at least gets the AP re-adopted again so you can see it/access it...and doesn't leave the AP orphaned somewhere.

peawet08
New Contributor II
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help. It was a configuration issue in the default-ap650 profile I had created.

The key was you saying it might be layer2/3 connectivity to the controller. The issue was that I had accidentally ticked the "Tag Native VLAN" in the ethernet settings.

It looks like it is working now.

If we were in a bar together, I'd buy you both a beer!!!

Mark

ckelly
Extreme Employee
You can force the controller to send the config again using this command:

# service force-send-config on "AP Name" (hit the TAB key after "on" to see a list of the APs)

If the config is the issue, which it appears to be, the same thing will happen. The AP will try to re-adopt several times and finally give up...and then revert to the previous config.

What you can do though is log into the AP after force-sending the config (and BEFORE it reverts again) and take a copy of the running-config so that it can be analyzed offline. You're dealing with a networking related issue at this point so you would be looking for things in the config that would break either layer-2 or layer-3 connectivity to the controller. So things like ge1 interface setup is wrong or the controller-host entry is wrong, or mint mlcp [VLAN or IP] is missing. Something along these lines. Look for config entries that could prevent the AP from being able to reach the controller.

peawet08
New Contributor II
Hi,

I have tried setting the buffered logging to debugging (7) and then rebooting the AP, but the logs don't seem to contain any additional information on the error that is causing the AP not to apply the profile from the controller.

Is there a command I can use to force the AP to re communicate with the controller such that it tries to apply the profile?

Thanks

Mark
GTM-P2G8KFN