Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN MU's some getting 169 address

VLAN MU's some getting 169 address

Phil_storey
Contributor
Hi
We have a strange issue on the wifi network, I will try to explain

we have the RFS7K that at present is set to tunnelled , The RFS has a connection into the LAN ( Avaya 5520 ) the port is set to a trunk port and have VLAN 1 & 10 allowed

OF the RFS GE1 is set to trunk and allowed VLAN's 1 & 10. Under the virtual adapter there is VLAN1 & VLAN10

The WLANs are then mapped to the VLAN's depending on Access.

so in this case VLAN 1 = LAN ( and is working fine with no issues.

VLAN 10 on the other hand is causing some issues.

On the LAN switch ( Ayaya 5520 ) a port has been allocated to VLAN 10 ( set as the default VLAN ) this in turn has an ADSL router connected to it , the router also is the DHCP server for VLAN10.

VLAN 10 is a Guest WLAN, and the DHCP range is 192.168../24

The AP's are all 7532 ( FW 5.8 )

On the AP GE 1 is set to trunk with the allowed vlans 1 & 10 and the virtual adapters Vlan 1 & 10

now to the issue:

On VLAN 10 some MU are getting a 169 address or 0.0.0.0, I have selected one of the devices in the statistics / wireless clients and then selected disconnect client, it then re-appears as a 0.0.0.0 then changes to a 169 address.

It seems very hit and miss if you can connect to the VLAN 10 . I can not see anything obvious causing the issue.

If I connect to the ADSL router and look at connected devices, it shows the devices that are connected.
So I don't think the router is the issue.

I I select one of the AP's that that have a MU with a 169 address on it and then select troubleshooting and from there select packet capture. and set the interface to vlan 10 and packet direction as any, I can see DHCP request on VLAN 10 and MINT traffic

Its Not affecting all AP's and the ones that are affected are connected to different switches.

Any Help or advice gratefully received
6 REPLIES 6

Phil_storey
Contributor
Hi Chris
do I need to add anything to the command ?

remote-debug live-pktcap hosts bridge filter ether port 67 and port 68 and ether host

I have tried different options but returns with incomplete command The RFS is at Wing 5.8

ckelly
Extreme Employee
On one of the APs that has a client that cannot get a lease, is it consistent? Or do some of the clients get a lease on the VLAN-10 WLAN? Hopefully it's a consistent problem. Easier to troubleshoot.

You can use the below command on the controller's CLI to specifically watch a client's DHCP traffic. This would hopefully show you the DHCP Discovery messages being sent from the client...and the expected DHCP Offer from the DHCP server. If you see the Request but not the Offer, then either the Requests are not reaching the DHCP server or the DHCP server's Offer messages are not able to make it back to the AP. From there, you need to locate the source of the breakdown in the wired side traffic flow.

# remote-debug live-pktcap hosts bridge filter ether port 67 and port 68 and ether host
GTM-P2G8KFN