cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wing AP Migration and Controller Adoption

Wing AP Migration and Controller Adoption

Bruno_Amarante
New Contributor II
Do APs in the same control vlan influence each other regarding controller adoption?

I just tried to give specific option 191 to just 1 AP and for some reason it was stuck adopting on my old controller cluster

And then out of the blue not only that on adopted according to the new option 191 but another one which did not get the dhcp option decided to adopt on the new controller as well ¬¬

I'm just trying to plan how I will migrate the APs to the new controller on a per AP basis but if this is the case I could have issues

Is there some procedure or included in documentation AP migration?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Bruno

12 REPLIES 12

Carlos_Assunção
New Contributor III
Make sure of the following:

Same fw version on AP/VX/VX9000;
Simple point the AP to the new controller "controller host XX.XXX.XXX / controller vlan X.
Make sure there are no auto-provisioning policy on the controllers that blocks the adoption.

Hugs

I have tried this but still noticed the behavior above.

Andrew_Blomley
Extreme Employee
If you reboot all the aps at the same time , just changing the option 191 will work. But if you try and do it one by one you will have this trouble.

Bruno_Amarante
New Contributor II
Understood thanks, it makes sense now,

I just thought the option 191 would be enough to steer the APs to the desired controller but the rfdm is still seeing the AP on the same control vlan and causing the issue

Andrew_Blomley
Extreme Employee
The rfdm job is the manage the access points. Only the rfdm has a connection to the control all other aps link to the rfdm via layer 2 links So to move the aps from one controller to another controller you need to stop aps talking to each other When you set controller managed each ap will talk to the controller If you now change the option 191 and reboot the ap, it will link to the new controller When you have all the aps cut over, you can then disable controller managed The rfdm will be re-elected and the site will be on the VX
GTM-P2G8KFN