Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiNG wireless syslog for a longer period of time

WiNG wireless syslog for a longer period of time

boy141
New Contributor II

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000081692

Is there a way to capture the data for long duration ?  The article solutions lasts for about 10-20 mins.  The issue is that we have a warehouse with 74 APs and 30 handheld units.  Throughout the day, the WMS app says “Network Disconnection” even though the client wireless has full signal strength.  I believe it’s a “generic app message” but no way to see if the device disconnects from the APs.  I want to capture the syslog for 1 day or 3 days?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Daren_Ellis
Extreme Employee

Hi,

In regards to your query, the log duration is finite at either 10000 or 100000 packets. Which would not meet your requirements.

I would suggest if possible to choose the device that has the issue the most and conduct a constant ping to this device.
Next time the message shows you can confirm if ping traffic has stopped.
I would advise pinging both from local subnet of the wireless client and subnet application server is located.

In case you have some weird firewall or routing related issue you would be able to quickly tell where traffic stops.
If you server is referenced by name you might want to make sure you DNS server is not having network issues either.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

boy141
New Contributor II

Found the problem !  I used the suggestions above to reconcile the issue.  The application server was wonky while the network was fine.  We rebooted all the APs and that seemed to help too.

Extreme_Portal_
Extreme Employee

The log size on Wing is not very large and depending on the syslog level, the logs could wrap in one day. I advise using an external syslog (many freeware available on the Internet), which will allow you to log as long as you wish.

Daren_Ellis
Extreme Employee

Hi,

In regards to your query, the log duration is finite at either 10000 or 100000 packets. Which would not meet your requirements.

I would suggest if possible to choose the device that has the issue the most and conduct a constant ping to this device.
Next time the message shows you can confirm if ping traffic has stopped.
I would advise pinging both from local subnet of the wireless client and subnet application server is located.

In case you have some weird firewall or routing related issue you would be able to quickly tell where traffic stops.
If you server is referenced by name you might want to make sure you DNS server is not having network issues either.

GTM-P2G8KFN