Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIPS and "ap-ssid-broadcast-in-beacon" event

WIPS and "ap-ssid-broadcast-in-beacon" event

el_magneto
New Contributor

Hi,

I recently enabled onboard WIPS functionality on my WING 7.2.1. (Rogue AP detection plus all wips events) and got a lot of "ap-ssid-broadcast-in-beacon" events with MAC addresses of APs out of my system/control. 

I cannot find any explenation of this event in WING documentation. Do you know what does it mean exactly? Is it dangerous? Do you know any place where wips evets are described more

extensively?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ron_Galien
Extreme Employee

This appears to be an informational event seen by your onboard wips > WING AP / sensors which are detecting neighboring devices / APs that have their SSID’s configuration set to broadcast. Every wireless router (or wireless access point) has a network name assigned to it. The technical term is a Service Set Identifier (SSID). By default, a router will broadcast its SSID in beacons, so all users within its range can see the network on their PC or other device.For your own security purposes you should not have your own SSID’s configured to “broadcast” . 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback, we will work on creating a knowledge article for this topic. If you can think of other articles you would like to see created, please don’t hesitate to let us know. 

el_magneto
New Contributor

Dear Extreme Networks !

Ever think of issuing a document which disrebes this events for extreme WING ?

Now I feel that I have useles tool because it detects some events (maybe some of them are really dangerous) but I dont know what they mean.

Regards,

el_magneto
New Contributor

And nex one:

ad-hoc-violation

auth-server-failures

el_magneto
New Contributor

Thank you Chris for that detailed explanation.

I’m gonna disable this event therefore as not very useful.

I have recently noticed couple more. Can you also expleain on them?

dos-assoc-or-auth-flood

dos-unicast-deauth-or-disassoc

eap-flood

Thanks in advanced!

GTM-P2G8KFN