cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM3400 v5.5.5.0 causing IP conflict

WM3400 v5.5.5.0 causing IP conflict

Sean_Tutor
New Contributor II
So I just updated 24 locations using the WM3400 controller, of which 4 had a strange issue arise. I updated the devices and rebooted them, only to lose access to the network causing me to go onsite to find out what the issue was. When on site I would attempt to access my firewall, lets call it 192.168.1.1, only for the Extreme login page to pop up. I found this odd as I could also access the controller using its normal assigned IP address, lets call it 192.168.1.15. Accessing the normal page (.15) I could find nothing odd, so I went ahead and signed into the .1 address. Apparently the controller created another virtual interface allowing me to configure it. I did a bit of navigating, found the VLAN 1 interface and had to disable DHCP which promptly fixed the network issue.

I'm curious why this is happening and how I can prevent it from happening again. (I rebooted the device yesterday and it occurred again) It seems strange that a firmware update would cause the devices to enable DHCP and create IP conflicts with my firewall. Also as a side note, these particular devices (4 out of the 24) will not allow me to ping them now, even though I created a static route for them.
4 REPLIES 4

Sean_Tutor
New Contributor II
Sorry for the late reply, had to go on site to poke and prod. Quick reply to your questions:

Just the login page for the WM - which was apparently an access point and not the wireless controller

VLAN 1

The DHCP server was the problem, which I'll explain below.

And just a single controller.

So it would appear whoever setup the DHCP on our firewall used the IP address of the gateway and only the gateway on these 4 devices that were having issues. So that explains why the devices are pulling a conflicting IP. What is odd is that this issue is just now occurring. The devices pulling the IP are the access point, which explains a little bit. However now, when I look up the access points IPs (after having changed the DHCP range) they come up as 0.0.0.0 instead of a proper IP like 192.168.1.25. (Using the GUI)

I suppose this closes the main issue for now. Now I just need to find out how to change the access points IP from 0.0.0.0.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Sean, I've marked this thread as "Solved." If that's not the case, let us know how we can help!

-Drew

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
Hi Sean,

I've got a few questions to get a better idea of what happened.

When you say the Extreme login page, is this the login page for the web interface of the WM? Or is it a captive portal page?

Is the normal IP address (192.168.1.15) on vlan 1, or is it on another vlan?

What is the DHCP server in this network? Generally, I wouldn't expect it to hand out the firewall's IP as a lease.

Also, are there two controllers clustered, or just a single controller?

-Brandon

Colatuno__Joe
Extreme Employee
Hey Sean,

I assume you are getting the controller GUI login page and not a captive portal page correct?

What version did you come from?

Who is handing out DHCP?

When you disable dhcp are you committing and saving the changes?
GTM-P2G8KFN