Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP130 and AP1130 firmware differences based on version number

AP130 and AP1130 firmware differences based on version number

BMV
New Contributor

Hi support and community,

I have just started working at a new company that uses Hive Manager (classic) to manage over 1,200 AP130 and AP1130 at different locations. Before starting at this new company, I have not dealt with any of the Aerohive and Extreme Network controller or APs. I have noticed that most of our APs are running on HiveOS 6.5r8b.179369 firmware which I wanted to update. When I try to find the latest firmware under the “Downloads” section of the website, I am presented with different firmware versions eg.

HiveOS 6.8r1 - 11/03/2020
HiveOS 6.5r8a - 11/03/2020
HiveOS 8.4r5 - 11/03/2020
AP130-10.0r9b.img.S - 29/09/2020

AP130-8.2r9.img.S - 9/11/2020

Needless to say, this is very confusing and I am baffled with which is the latest version I can install on the APs via the Hive Manager classic. Most of the firmware files have the same release date, yet have different version names which don’t make things very clear.

My questions are: What are the differences between HiveOS 6.xr, HiveOS 8.xr and HiveOS 10.xr and under what circumstances would someone install a lower firmware version instead of a firmware with higher version (eg HiveOS 8.xr over HiveOS 10.xr)?

Perhaps someone can clear this confusion up for me please. I have read a lot of threads on here with people being very confused about how the firmware downloads page is layed out and very unclear.

Thanks in advance.

BMV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, in general we recommend using the latest firmware available, so for most models that would be the 10.x line. If there is a known issue in the latest version that would affect your device types, then you’d want to move back a version or two. That said we recommend using the latest so you have all the latest bug fixes, security updates, and new features. You can check the release notes of each firmware version to see what is included in that version and what models that version supports. You can find release notes on this page- https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/reference/docs/release-notes.htm

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Adonis04521
New Contributor

HiveManager Classic makes it easy to update HiveOS firmware running on Select this option to display HiveOS image files by their version numbers.

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, in general we recommend using the latest firmware available, so for most models that would be the 10.x line. If there is a known issue in the latest version that would affect your device types, then you’d want to move back a version or two. That said we recommend using the latest so you have all the latest bug fixes, security updates, and new features. You can check the release notes of each firmware version to see what is included in that version and what models that version supports. You can find release notes on this page- https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/reference/docs/release-notes.htm

Hope that helps!

GTM-P2G8KFN