cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block MU to MU traffic AP filter rule

Block MU to MU traffic AP filter rule

Frank11
New Contributor
I know you can Block MU to MU traffic if you route wireless traffic through the controller.

If you use the "Bridge @ AP" topology can you Block MU to MU traffic via Access Point filter rules?
7 REPLIES 7

hsachse
New Contributor III
Hello Frank,

refering to the 8.32.x/9.x user guide for my understanding the "Block MU to MU traffic" applied in the advanced configuration option of the wlan service is useable for both B@HWC and B@AP. The blocking mechanismen based on a layer 2 (mac address table of wireless client successfully authenticated on the same SSID, client traffic between clients on the same SSID is blocked).

Policies typically applied at layer 3 level (controller support l2, too). "User Guide, V9.01" page 5-7 include a example for l3 policies/rules to limit client communication applied at B@HWC level. I think its still possible to apply the same rule at ap level. In the user guide on page 5-9 you can explanation of "AP rules/AP filtering" and its limitations.

I agree with John, there a limitations if in multiple controller setups, but this seems not relevant to your user case.

Best regards
Hartmut

Hi Renato

Regarding the direction option in the rule; "in" refers to traffic from a wireless client to the AP, "out" refers to traffic destined to the wireless client from the AP.

You can set the mac address as a source or destination according to your requirements within the direction pull-down.

-Gareth

I managed to apply rules for traffic entering the network (in the AP through the wifi), based on the destination MAC. However could not apply the rules for traffic leaving the AP, analyzing source MAC. It can apply rules in the AP based on mac source for the traffic coming out of AP? Thank you for attention renato lopes

Hi Renato

Product documentation is available for download here http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/documentation

You will need an extranet account to download the documentation.

Regards

-Gareth
GTM-P2G8KFN