Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Design High Availability with two switch core Summit 460-24P

Design High Availability with two switch core Summit 460-24P

Sebastian_Rojas
New Contributor II
Hello and good morning
I have a doubt about a design for an small network, consist in two stack one for data and one for voice, those stack are connect it to a switch core, so i want to put another switch core for redundancy and high availability, so i want to know if my design its the correct, can you help me because in my bloody job there is no one to talk about it.

1.- Connect the second switch core to the switch core in production with a etherchannel with 2 ports attached (ĀæL2 or L3 etherchannel?)

2.-a tier 2 topology will be create it, so from the data stack(3 switch) i connect it to the 2 switch core in in a form of "v shape" or triangule? so 2 ports for each switch to connect to the core?

3.-the same with de voice stack(2 switch) 2 ports for each switch to the core switch,

Can you validate that design please!!!
because i'm 24 and this is my first designing network, so i guess i'm very nervous
Thanks for your time
Best regards!

8 REPLIES 8

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Sebastian,

MLAG will be created between the 2 Core switches. The links between them (with LAG enabled) will be ISC link used to sync fdb table entries.

Regarding the stacks you just need to enable sharing (LAG) for the 2 ports connecting both Core switches.

The vlans from stacked switches must be added to the Core ISC link as well as its MLAG ports (the ports in the Core that connects the stack).

Sebastian_Rojas
New Contributor II
Hello Henrique,

Thanks for all your help, but in the MLAG from the switch that are connect with LAG, can i do LAG from an example the Data Stack to the core2 ?

or the MLAG feature is asymmetrical from a point of view, does MLAG required that boths ends have to be in stack?
or just one side?

Nicolas_Dreher1
New Contributor
Hi Sebastian,

I agree with Henrique : the dual attachement design is simple and effective.

I would add the simplest solution would be to stack your core switches so they are seen as a single device. You can do this using either stack modules (SummitStack, SummitStack-V80 - in slot B only ! - or SummitStackV over 10Gb uplinks).

The advantage over a simple etherchannel/LACP aggregation (L2 protocols) is that you'd have only one config for both core switches, which means :
- you can aggregate links between the core and acces stacks (using MLAG/LACP)
- you have only one config for both core switches
- you don't need to worry about L3 redundancy (no VRRP)

Anyway, it will be the easy way, compared to a triangle architecture (loop prevention with SpanningTree or EAPS, routing redundancy with VRRP...)

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Sebastian,

The physical network design would be the following based on your description:

da70463e2a8643b8b47cc303d9e71ccb_RackMultipart20160511-59791-1k2pbxg-Network-Topology_inline.png

I believe that's a good option. However, to accomplish that you have to decide among couple logical options using protocols like MLAG/VRRP/EAPS/ERPS, etc.
GTM-P2G8KFN